Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

Missing dllcache folder & sfc.exe file

This is a discussion on Missing dllcache folder & sfc.exe file within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I could really use some advice ... Following some attempted maintenance, I lost some files and folders (cachedll folder and

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I could really use some advice ...

Following some attempted maintenance, I lost some files and folders (cachedll folder and spc.exe plus who knows how many others).

I was attempting to run scandisk, as a preliminary to running a defrag on my hard drive on my Windows ME system, but my system could never finish the scandisk -- kept on retrying; would indicate some program was possibly writing to the hard drive. Unsure of which program, I disabled my Norton Antivirus program that was running and my Internet filter Bsafe.com. I tried to run scandisk again and it froze up my system. Upon hard re-booting, I had several start-up errors (rpcss could not start?) and so I tried a System Restore. Upon re-booting after the Restore, it hung up again. Upon hard re-booting again, Norton Antivirus was gone from my desktop, Bsafe filter was gone, the Windows Help would not launch (couldn't do a System Restore again).

I was able to copy a missing Bsafe file from my other computer and this allowed me to "uninstall" Bsafe -- this software was a big problem recently when I tried to alter my hardware for a wireless network. That helped reduce hang-ups and gave me more control over the system, but still not working properly ... still could not launch Windows HELP to run System Restore; I tried System Restore from the Program directory but it would not launch from there either. My Control Panel was blank even though it said 36 items in folder. So I finally re-installed my Windows 98 operating system from the CD. This helped a lot, was able to get my wireless working again; but I could still NOT re-install Norton AV; plus other bugs.

I tried unsuccessfully removing the remnants of Norton Antivirus; trying to re-install it I got errors saying that the MSI (Microsoft Installer?) would not launch and was necessary to install Norton. When I tried running an MSIfix.exe program from Norton website, it halted the program running in the black DOS screen indicating that c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ was not found and it could not find msi.dll *.sym1, msiexec.exe, and msihnd.dll because the path was invalid. DLLCACHE folder was missing. Meant nothing to me.

I looked on the internet and Microsoft support said it was part of the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature. It was talking about running an SFC.exe program to aid in repairing; I tried running but it also is missing (searched after unhiding all files).

I wonder what other folders and files are missing as well.

Any suggestions? Need more info? Thanks for your patience reading my novel. And thanks for any advice you can give me.

walternw

Old 03-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Did you fdisk/format and install 98 instead of ME? After you installed 98 did you go to the Windows Update site and get the Service Packs and critical updates? Did you install all the drivers for the mobo and your adapter cards if applicable?
As of right now if I were you I would wipe the drive and install again followed by the updates and drivers. After successfully installing those you can then continue to install additional programs and security programs

Old 03-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #3

In WIndows ME SFC.exe is not a free standing application; one of their ideas they were trying out was to use state manager windows file protection and system restore instead. They learned this does not work so XP returned having System File Checker as an external application.
But ME does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ile_Protection
This is but one reason many hate ME and refer to it as a crippled OS.
The whole idea behind Windows File Protection is that if any of the files which system file checker would normally check and allow you to replace are ever altered, WFP will automatically replace them from its backup copy.
So this basically should render SFC non necessary other than its feature of extracting a file; which in ME you use extract from a command prompt for.
The big danger is if some user decides to use MSCONFIG to control startup entries and finds an entry for state manager statemgr.exe and turns it off.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/statemgr/

Now you have no monitoring / file protection and no way to scan for and find damaged ones.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q265371/
Tells how to replace them, but not how to find them.

I can't find it now; but someone did make a third party sfc for windows me.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you, Geekgirl and oshwyn5, for your responses to my predicament ...

I confused the issue when I accidentally said "I reinstalled my Windows 98 operating system" ... I actually reinstalled my Windows ME.

None-the-less, I am inclined to "wipe" the hard drive and re-install my Windows ME, as you suggested. I did NOT fdisk/format my hard drive before I re-installed the ME last time. When I re-installed ME, I TRIED doing a Windows Update but it failed each time I tried without giving me a good reason why ... I assumed it was (and still do) that it was the missing files or some corrupted files.

QUESTION: Do you have an article or something, along the lines of a checklist, of things to do, or be careful of, prior to reformatting a well-used (full of personal data) hard drive? Proper order of re-installing software? Will all hardware be automatically recognized (floppy drives, cd drives, sound cards, adapters, mouse/drivers, etc.) or will I have to find all the drivers on the disks that came with the PC (PC came pre-loaded with disks I've never opened yet)? Any literature or help would be greatly appreciated.

How long, roughly, would you expect it to take to reformat the HD?

Thanks again for your help.
walternw
Old 03-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #5

Go to device manager and make a list of all the hardware you have. Use The free version of everest home still available at majorgeeks
too (you can print the list from here as well as locate drivers)
Download all the drivers you will need and burn them to cdr. Windows has some generic (safe mode) drivers but to make everything work correctly you will want to have all the correct drivers and without drivers windows will not know what they are to help you find them.

Take your time; burn copies of all your data (pictures, email , stuff you downloaded etc). Sleep on it and go back and look for more things. Make a list , check it several times.

Repartition before format. It does a better job.
How to use fdisk and format to prepare your drive
Note that if the drive is over 64GB in size the win98 fdisk will not work . You need to go to bootdisk.com and get the one for larger drives .

How to install win98 on a pc with no operating system
ME will be similar.

Install OS
Install drivers
Install antivirus/ firewall
Set up internet connection
Get all updates.
Install programs
Restore data.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you, oshwyn, for taking the time to outline this process. Looks like a good plan. I will let you know how it goes. I went out and bought a new 120 GB hard drive and did not disturb the old hard drive (only 20 GB and wanted more room, anyway). I can now go back and retrieve anything necessary.

Thanks again.

walternw
Old 03-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Grin

Just to put a final note on this thread ...

oshwyn5's approach worked well (thanks! ), copying all the drivers was a good idea ...

The main problem I had, and the one I would add to the list of "things to do", was my wireless pci network card ... I needed to remove it first, and then install the software, and then re-install the pci card. This was the sequence necessary when I first installed it ... I was glad I saved the paper quickstart guide. Once I did this, everything else went pretty smooth.

Thanks to those who advised me on this problem (oshwyn5 & Geekgirl)!

walternw
Old 03-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

All wireless adapter cards need the drivers installed first, havent come across one that didnt yet.

Glad you got it sorted