Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

Help! My Computer is stuck in safe mode and have tried everything

This is a discussion on Help! My Computer is stuck in safe mode and have tried everything within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I cannot get out of safe mode. I went into safe mode and whenever I restart my computer the

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi,
I cannot get out of safe mode. I went into safe mode and whenever I restart my computer the black area shows up and gives me 7 choices: normal, logged (bootlog.txt), safe mode, safe mode with network support, step by step confirmation, command prompt only, and safe mode command prompt only. It will not allow me to choose normal and everytime I do, it restarts the computer and goes back to the page. At the bottom of the black screen it says, "Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose safe mode, to start windows with a minimal set of drivers." But, i went to safe mode and let it load all the way and then restarted and it still does it. Also, I unplugged the computer overnight and replugged it back in this morning and it is still doing it. When I went into safe mode, I right clicked on my computer, went to properties and went to CD Rom and changed the drive to a D: because I don't have a D: drive and that is what I was trying to fix. But now, its completely screwed up with this safe mode stuff. Can you please let me know if u have any help you could offer me?
Thanks Alot! Jess - Completely Clueless
BTW: I tried selective startup and it still does the above. :(

Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Did you do anything particular before your PC started doing this ? Installed a certain program, windows update, patch or downloaded something (possibly not so trustworthy) off the internet ?
Did you run a virus scan ? I'd recommend 2 online scans - trendmicro and panda - and also install AVG if you dont use it yet. (unless you are using a different AV program already).
Also check for Spyware and Adware - anything that would interrupt every day computer use. If all fails it might also be a good idea to post a HJT log in the security section (subcategory HJT) of TSF.

Panda:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/product..._principal.htm

Trendmicro:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Spybot S+D:
http://shinobiresources.com/Download...spybotsd13.exe

AVG:
http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free...ee_323a539.exe

Adaware:
ftp://ftp.download.com/pub/win95/uti...sepersonal.exe

Thermaltake 420W PSU --> SEE IT ALL GLOW <--

MBM5 - SpeedFan - PSU Calculator - MemTest86 - ThrottleWatch
Old 06-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

I cannot get onto the internet though. When I went into safe mode, I did it intentionally. I went to find my D: Drive. I right clicked on My Computers, then went to Device Something and went down to CD ROM. Then I changed the drive from nothing that was in the box before to D:/. But, I went back in to try to change it back to nothing and it will not let me because the nothing space is gone. Its just a drop down menu with drivers on it. When I am in safe mode it will not allow me to get onto the internet. So, I cannot download anything. So, I am stuck. Is there any like magic thing that can make all the settings go back to default or can get me back in selective startup, what I was in before?
I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Try setting the BIOS settings back to default. While booting tap the Delete key until you enter the BIOS. Most systems when you are in the BIOS you can press the F9 key to set default settings.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

If the only thing that you changed was your cd-rom drive letter assignment, then perhaps uninstalling the cd-rom drive from device manager while in safe-mode and restarting will correct the problem.

If windows boots correctly it should automatically re-install the cd-rom and assign it a drive letter.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

I got to BIOS and pressed F9, but it did nothing to help me, just asked me a few questions and to answer yes or no, performance question, etc.

I am afraid to remove my CD Rom because I want to be able to get it back and what happens if it does not take me out of safe mode and reinstall itself?

Is there anything else anyone can think of. It basically just keeps defaulting me to safe mode.
Any help would be truly appreciated. Sorry for the delay, I could not get to a computer until tonight.
THanks
Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Jess:

If you can get into the start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information run the system file checker / the system file checker is in that vicinity anyway / use windows help if you cant find it / run that ( I havent used win 98 in ages)

i would have to agree with the virus /trojan / spyware diagonisis

how bad would it mess you up to reformat the hard drive and perfrom a "clean" install ??????

Regards:

let us know how you progress

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I did run the system file checker. One thing was found but when I tried for replace it and/or fix it, i was unable to.

I ran Spybot, Adaware, Nortons, and SpySweeper and all were clean? I have no idea.

It would destroy me if I had to lose all my files, I cannot lose my work and stuff.

Someone told me that it is a driver not allowing me to get past safe mode because its not compatible or something and I did change the driver. I am scared to delete the CD ROM, but my D: drive isn;t even working right now. What do you think I should do?

It does say on the black screen that My settings did not load all the way and I need to go into safe mode with less drivers loaded.
Help!
Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well Jess:

Safemode is all about bare minimum drivers ARE being loaded / the only drivers that will load are the one absolutely needed to start the machine and enter safemode

My suggestion would be to "slave" your drive to another computer / copy the files which are important to you

then wipe the drive clean and go for a fresh install / I have experienced what you are going through now and after a week of thrashing around with drivers / registry editing etc / in the end I had to swallow the perscription I just gave you.

The only positive think / is if you have been running this version of windows for any length of time (like over a year) it will run alot better when you are done.

Regards:

Joe

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 06-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ok! I finally found the Windows 98 backup disk. So, if I load this in the computer, do i loose all my files?
If so, How do I ""slave" your drive to another computer / copy the files which are important to you"? I am not that technically advanced as you can probably tell, so if you could break it down it would help me alot.
Thanks Bunches! I truly appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Jess;

Adding your hard drive to another computer is very easy.

# 1 remove the hard drive from the troublesome computer

Look at the jumper settings on the rear of your hard drive / you see see pins there with the abbreviations for master / slave / cable select etc it should be set to master now with a small jumper connector cap (little black connector) switch that jumper cap to slave

install the drive into the second computer and make sure your drive is placed in between or in the middle of the ribbon cable / we will call the "other: machine "spare" make sure the hard drive in the "spare" computer remains where it is (should be at the end of the cable) also you will need to connect a power connector (4 pin molex) tot he drive / after doing this boot the spare up / it should immediately list "your" hard drive as slave on the bios screen right after the ram counter finishes its thing. If this bios screen goes as planned then all is well / the spare will boot into its OS "windows" and be ready to copy your files onto the spare. I would make a folder on the spare called Jess / the drop and drag everything into the back-up folder / provioded sapare has enough room to hold everything you have / otherwise just copy whats vital to you. Then check the copy to see that you have what you want in the spare computer !!!!!

Now your drive does not have to be bolted in to do this! if its a pain to mount the drive in the spare / then you can just leave it lose in the bottom of the case / place something like card board under it so it doesnt short out something.

after you have completed that process return all settings and drives back their proper place. your drive set and master and back inyour machine.

Then you will need to "clean" your hard drive

use this program (it will clean your drive and get it ready for a "fresh" install
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/d...6.zip?download

downlaod the US version

then read & print this out
http://fdisk.radified.com/& print this

you must FDISK your hard drive after"cleaning"

then you must install win 98 ???

After you get your computer runnign again with the clean install you will have to load all the drivers for your hardware / get all your windows updates / and reload all your progrs / just dragging and dropping them back into you new clean "C" drive will not make them run / because windows will have a "new" empty registry.

do you know how to do any of this ??????? If not I would find a computer geek friend to help.

***** I would AFTER making a copy of all your "stuff" onto the spare computer / restart your computer and once in safe mode "delete" your cd-rom drive from your computer / then restart / I think this will solve your problems much easier / I guarantee your computer will reinstall the cd-rom correctly after it reboots / windows automatically looks for those things / but if somethign weird happens / then proceed with the "clean" install

IN the future BACK-UP your important stuff BEFORE the crash / you are lucky this time / next time when the hard drives dies you wont be. To buy a used 20 or up to 40 gig IDE hard drive on ebay is cheap !!!! Western Digital !!!!!

regards

Joe

PS post back as you get more questions

Old 06-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

I had this same issue. Turned out to be a corrupted video driver. All I did was remove the video card from the device manager and when windows restarted, it started in normal mode and wanted the drivers for the card installed. Cannt hurt to try it.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ok. Where do I find the video card? How do I know which one it is? Thanks Bunches!!!

Lin: OK! Wow! Big job! HAHA! well, i will be doing exactly that if the video card thing does not work, so I will probably have alot of questions. THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will start to try it out after trying the video card removal.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #14
Registered Member

Starting at the start button:

Start > Settings > Control Panel

Double click System

Single click on Device Manager tab

Make sure View Device by Type is selected

Single click on + by Display Adapters

Single click on item displayed under Display Adapter

Click on Remove

Click on Ok.

Shut down and reboot the computer
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sgundrum:

Thats sounds like a likely problem and feasible solution.

Hope it works / Jessica if that doesnt work / just fire away with the questions

regards

joe

Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

OK! Thanks! I will go home and try it right now. IF that does not work, Lin: I will start with the questions. Haha. I am sure there will be plenty. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I will let you know how this works.
Thanks Again!
Jess
Old 06-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #17
Registered Member

Ok!
I did exactly what you said. I deleted it. Then When I restarted it did not ask me if I wanted safe mode or what form. I thought it was gonna work, but when it comes time for the screen to come on, a screen comes up and it says : NAV Auto-Protect
Unable to Initialize the virus scanning engine database files.
Then there is a choice to click [OK]. So, I click it and the computer is still running, but the screen is completely black. After you wait a minute or so, the hour glass comes up, but it does nothing, just sits there. I restarted a few times, it did the same thing. On the third time, after I clicked OK (the only option), A blue screen came up that said:

Windows
A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 4010:000001F6. The current application will be terminated.
Press any key to terminate the current application.
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.
Press any key to continue.
So, I press a key, and it takes it to the black screen again?

I think this is all that is keeping me from getting it to load normally, as the safe mode option did not pop up. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this and start up my computer?
THANKS!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #18
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Our friend NAV, playing with us again.....

You said you found a backup disk, does it say restore disk or recovery disk?
Looks like you might have to do a repair installation.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #19
Registered Member

What is a repair installation? I am not sure. I think it is a backup disk, I will have to find out. Will I loose all my stuff? Is it an easy fix?
Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #20
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

A repair installation overwrites all the system files and basically installs the o.s ontop of the existing one. You will not lose any of your programs if you choose not to format the drive. You will have to install the Windows Critical Updates & service packs