Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

Boot floppy disk Greater Than 1.4 MB

This is a discussion on Boot floppy disk Greater Than 1.4 MB within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I know it's 2011 but I have this antique laptop that has only floppy drive.I bought portable floppy drive for

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

I know it's 2011 but I have this antique laptop that has only floppy drive.I bought portable floppy drive for my modern computer and downloaded Windows 95 OS(floppy disk version).However,I'm not able to put those files on floppy disk because they have 1.6 mb instead of 1.4(standard for floppies).How to compress those files so I could fit them in 1.4 floppy drive?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

Welcome to TSF ;

The problem with 'Oversize' Floppy disks is that your Computer BIOS does not know how to handle them, that includes Microsofts 1.68MB DMF Format. All Microsoft Bootdisks are limited to 1.44MB for the same reason. If you look at the Windows 95 DMF Disk set, Windows 95 Non-DMF Floppy Disk Directory Listing (1 of 3) The Bootdisk and Setup Disk 1 are in 1.44MB Format while Disk 2 to 13 are 1.68MB DMF Format. That is so the DMF loader can be installed. FD Format is a Utility that can create 'Oversize' Floppy Disks such as 1.68MB and 1.70MB but they need FDREAD to access most of them. which loads after the boot process. So as far as I can see it cannot be done.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

You can get the standard 2.88MB Floppy disks, They are the same size, You would have to get a 2.88MB drive though.
The standard floppy disk you are using is 1.44MB but people don't know this but if unformatted it is 2MB so I geuss their may be a format that you could gain some space from.

Refrence: Floppy disk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type................... Developed in.............. Capacity when formatted
3½-inch HD
........1987 ............................1440B1.44 MB (2.0 MB unformatted)
3½-inch ED .........1987.............................2880B 2.88 MB
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

you need a floppy formatting utility software that can format the floppy to the dmf format. then just copy the file over. i google it and can see a few free ones:

floppy utilities dmf - Google Search