Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrade Time - Please Help Me

732 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ESeed 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys!

Like realizing one is old, I realized recently that my awesome computer is not as awesome as I liked to believe. I bought my ASUS G75VW back in November of 2012, and left it pretty much the same as it came, save for moving the OS (Win 7 x64) to a 180GB SSD. I never added any RAM or anything, since all my gaming needs were covered.

Then Witcher 3: Wild Hunt went on sale in Steam, and after finding a very large chunk on my SSD to accompany the file size, I played away as best I could. Sadly, for such a powerful game, not even the low graphics setting is enough to stop the lag between frames. I feel I am being robbed of my gaming experience again, but I don't think I need to buy a new computer. Thinking of adding some RAM to it since it can hold more, but above all, I am considering replacing the graphics card.

Any suggestions on what I should do/get, or perhaps some tips to someone who has not tampered much with the physical components of a computer? I always love the support of this forum, so I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Ethan

EDIT: Perhaps I should include some stats:
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G75VW/specifications/
My graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 660M.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's not really any way to upgrade a laptop outside of RAM or the hard drive. The CPU could be upgraded assuming the BIOS supported it but that wouldn't help much for gaming.

The GPU is going to be the issue with some modern games. Turning down the settings as low as possible is your only option outside of a new PC.

#4 ·
Yes, it is sometimes possible to upgrade the graphics card in a notebook pc. However, on most notebooks, the graphics card is integrated directly into the motherboard of the computer, making it impossible to upgrade. Contact Asus to determine if the graphics on your PC is upgradable. If it is, I recommend you purchase the upgrade directly from Asus.

#5 ·
I had called ASUS about the card, but they did not provide any information. The representative said that he did not have any information on whether the card could be replaced, and I would have to do so independently. I am not finding much information on how to tell whether or not I can even upgrade the card. I read through the user manual, but it lacks mention of a graphics card at all.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G75VW/E_eManual_G75VW_VER7352.pdf

I know the graphics card is dedicated, but not much past that. Is there a way to tell if I opened the computer up?

#6 ·
While it is technically possible it's just very common or easy to find the proper component that will work with your laptop. It can also be expensive and you may be limited to a slightly better GPU which really isn't going to solve your issue. It's not like replacing the GPU on a desktop which is a 5 minute job at most.

You can find some guides online if you want to see the process, it's not simple and the laptop could be damaged in the process.

#7 ·
I do not have the money right now to get an entirely new computer. I thought that, if possible, upgrading the graphics card may fix the issue. Are you saying it wouldn't? I don't think simply adding more RAM to the computer would solve the issue either, but RAM is easy to install and pretty much risk free. From what I have read, the newer Nvidia GTX series should be able to be used in replacement, but I am not sure. That is why I am asking for help, since I don't know too much about the hardware aspects of computers.

#8 ·
A RAM upgrade wouldn't make much, if any, difference. If a GPU upgrade were possible it would have to be supported by ASUS and you'd need to find a GPU that is not only compatible with the motherboard, power specs, socket, etc but would also be a decent upgrade.

If GPU upgrades were common for laptops it would be a more often discussed topic but it's just not typical with a laptop like it is with a desktop PC.

The only way to know if it's support for certain is to find the information from ASUS or from someone who has the exact model of laptop and has actually done the upgrade. From what I've seen online, the upgrades have been from a 660 to a 670 and not something several generations newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.