Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

[SOLVED] Steam installation problem?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Steam installation problem? within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I used to have steam on my computer, then I uninstalled it now I'm trying to install it and

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

So I used to have steam on my computer, then I uninstalled it now I'm trying to install it and it keeps saying this:Error 1327: invalid drive E/:
So I tried contacting steam support, and all their solutions did not work :(

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It sounds like your are pointing it to your E: drive which is inaccessable to install to or perhaps doesn't have enough space. When you click on "my computer" what drive letters do you see? Was the E: drive a flash drive or external drive you had plugged in through usb? Usually your C: drive includes your windows installation and installation of all software (including steam) for most people. When you go through the installation, maybe try pointing the installation to a different drive.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
It sounds like your are pointing it to your E: drive which is inaccessable to install to or perhaps doesn't have enough space. When you click on "my computer" what drive letters do you see? Was the E: drive a flash drive or external drive you had plugged in through usb? Usually your C: drive includes your windows installation and installation of all software (including steam) for most people. When you go through the installation, maybe try pointing the installation to a different drive.
Sorry that I didn't mention this before. Right when the install wizard pops up the 1327 error thing pops up and unable to install
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I agree with cloudedthought. Steam is still in your registry and being told that it belongs on E: drive which you may have disconnected or removed completely.
You could try the Steam Fix tool to see if this resolves it. If not post back here and we can give you instructions to manually fix it.

Revo Uninstaller
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hey Mike202,

In addition to Headpred's suggestion you could try the following method:

Install Steam on a drive that is on your machine (assuming this works, you very vague :D) and then move the "Steam" folder to your new desired destination.

You should delete all files in the "Steam" folder except for "Steamapps" and the executable. Steam will automatically re download the new files and everything should work as it normally would.

This is explained further on Valve's support site for Steam.

Good luck,

tsujp
Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

Use a software called Revo Uninstaller Pro to completely remove Steam from your PC and then try reinstalling. Traces of it in the Registry might be causing this problem.

Right click the drive in which you want to install Steam, then click on Properties and see that there is enough disk space for the installation. Try installing on another drive and see if the error persists.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

nonononononononono. None of your suggestions work... :( Revo uninstall dont work, removing all but steamapps dont work, steam fix dont work.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Have you tried doing what suggested in the help section:

Windows Vista/7: Click Start, then type "regedit" in the Start Search Bar and press enter.
Windows XP: Click Start > Run, then type "regedit" in the Run dialog and press Enter.
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\.
Right-click on 9C8928403D4AB094F99FBA20A329833F and select "Delete." Click Yes.
64-bit Windows: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
32-bit Windows: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
Right-click on {048298C9-A4D3-490B-9FF9-AB023A9238F3} and select "Delete." Click Yes.

?

Please post Hardware Specifications of your computer.(Including Power Supply!).
Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Info & Selection of PSU's
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
Have you tried doing what suggested in the help section:

Windows Vista/7: Click Start, then type "regedit" in the Start Search Bar and press enter.
Windows XP: Click Start > Run, then type "regedit" in the Run dialog and press Enter.
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\.
Right-click on 9C8928403D4AB094F99FBA20A329833F and select "Delete." Click Yes.
64-bit Windows: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
32-bit Windows: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
Right-click on {048298C9-A4D3-490B-9FF9-AB023A9238F3} and select "Delete." Click Yes.

?
Nope. Can't find the 9C8928403D4AB094F99FBA20A329833F in the directory you put.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

To make it clear, when i start up the installation, before it asks where to install the error pops up
Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Alrighty.

There are a few more things we can try:

1. Open command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe)
  • With command prompt open type: subst F: E:\
  • E:\ can be any drive and you should use the one you are having problems with, so in this case that would be E:\
  • This command will clone your drive so once you are done type: subst X: /D with X: being the name of the new cloned drive. If it clones E:\ and produces another called G:\ then the command would be subst G: /D

2. The solution outlined in this thread.

3. A possible solution outlined by this user on the Steam forums:
src: Steam error: 1327 Invalid E: Drive - Steam Users' Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubseeeE
SOLUTION

1. Download the "steaminstall.msi" file from steampowered.com.

2. Use 7-zip (7-Zip) to extract steaminstall.msi to a folder "steaminstall" on your desktop (as an example).

3. Rename this folder to "Steam" -> Right-click the folder -> Click Rename -> type in Steam and press <enter>

4. This folder is now your new Steam-folder, but you wouldn't want your Steam-folder to stay on your desktop.
Move it to any folder or non-removable drive on your computer -> Right-click the new "Steam" folder -> Click Cut -> navigate to your destination drive or folder and right-click and click Paste.

5. In this new "Steam" folder, there's a file calles "steam.exe1". Rename this file to "Steam.exe" and run it.

6. Let Steam do it's update routines and log-in and let it update the Steam-interface.

7. Close down Steam and replace the entire "steamapps" folder within your new Steam-folder, with the "steamapps" folder on your external drive or where your previous installation of Steam was.

8. Restart Steam and set your particular games to "always keep this game uptodate". Re-install your games via Steam if necessary and you will only have to download very minor stuff and they'll be working again.

I got this error-1327 as my harddrive with Steam on it, died. It wasn't possible to re-install, uninstall or do anything, but I found out that the solution above works with no problems.

I did try with Registry Mechanic to clean up the leftovers from Steam, but that didn't help either.

Windows Install Cleanup (How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites) did remove the installation from the control panel's "add/remove programs" / "programs and features" list but it still wouldn't let me re-install Steam.
Good luck!

tsujp
Old 03-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

just a simple question:

do you have an "E" Drive showing in "Computer" Folder?

!!Please do not PM me about Tech Support!!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujp View Post
Alrighty.

There are a few more things we can try:

1. Open command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe)
  • With command prompt open type: subst F: E:\
  • E:\ can be any drive and you should use the one you are having problems with, so in this case that would be E:\
  • This command will clone your drive so once you are done type: subst X: /D with X: being the name of the new cloned drive. If it clones E:\ and produces another called G:\ then the command would be subst G: /D
2. The solution outlined in this thread.

3. A possible solution outlined by this user on the Steam forums:
src: Steam error: 1327 Invalid E: Drive - Steam Users' Forums

Good luck!

tsujp
If there was a smily jumping for joy, there would be 100 lines of it in this post.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike202 View Post
If there was a smily jumping for joy, there would be 100 lines of it in this post.
I'm glad you solved it :D

Enjoy gaming!

tsujp

Closed Thread