Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

[SOLVED] Red Alert 2 video problems on windows 7

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Red Alert 2 video problems on windows 7 within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I recently installed Red Alert 2 on windows 7. It installed perfectly, but when I run the game I

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I recently installed Red Alert 2 on windows 7. It installed perfectly, but when I run the game I get audio and can hear everything, but there is a problem with the video. The video is somewhat working but not really. It will go to like a blank main menu. I am using a laptop, but I tried plugging into a monitor, and even used the hdmi output and tried on my bigscreen tv...both had the same problems. Please let me know if any one can help. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

Hello
try to run the game at compatibility mode
Right click on game's shortcut -> properties -> Compatibility
tick: run in compatibility with
and choose Win XP SP3
also run it as admin

!!Please do not PM me about Tech Support!!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sadly I have tried all the compatibilty options in the exe properties and none worked!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Does your laptop meet the game's minimum requirements for graphics? Do you have the latest chipset/graphics drivers and DirectX installed?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

it should meet the minimum required graphics i would assume since the computer is 3 months old and the game is a lot older. Also I had tried updating the drivers for the graphics card, and installed the newest directx, both of which did nothing.

It's weird because I can see like the main menu of the game, but not any of the buttons are there, but they still work. Also if I minimize the game and go back into it I can see everything like it is working, but it does not update if I were to click a button.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Not all games fully support integrated/onboard graphics, especially the Intel graphics chipset. Check the system requirements and chipset limitations in the game's manual.

Please post your laptop's full system specs, including motherboard and graphics details.

If you can change anything in the options screen, can you try a lower resolution?

If you're playing fullscreen, try using windowed mode to see if this makes a difference (Alt-Enter to toggle modes).
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Red alert 2 is not a demanding. I am a huge red alert fan. Have every C&C game including the original Red Alert. Sorry to say but Red Alert 2 is not compatible with Win7, Ive tried myself. Which is why I also have an XP machine.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

• Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors
^thats the graphics card, and below are the full specs

Quote:
HP Pavilion dv6t Select Edition customizable Notebook PC

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-460M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
• Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors
• FREE Upgrade to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• No additional security software
• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.25 hours of battery life +++
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
• No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• Intel Wireless-N Card
• Standard Keyboard
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

and @mario, I am going to have to disagree with you. It almost works and if you read the thread you would see it's my graphics not the game itself that isn't working
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

I have played Red 2 with way older intel graphics chipsets. It's recommended specs for cpu is a P2 500. it's not an intensive game. Wasn't much for video cards back then. Just because you can hear sound doesn't mean it's not compatible. Running the menue isn't the same as running the game. Sometimes a game that shouldn't run will run every once in a while. For instance i like to play Rise of nations. To play it on Win7 it takes 2 -3 times to get it running, and once running it runs fine. Install it on XP and 0 problems. Were talking the same machine here. After reading your response I tried installing R2 on an old machine I have with a P3 800 celeron and on board intell graphics. Installed and ran just fine. (buy the way I have 2 newer computers and three older ones. I'm a bit of a pack rat for computer parts.) Also installed on a dual core system with an HD4850 in XP and Win7. Ran fine on XP but cant get it to run on win7.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm not doubting you, but I have read online others have got it working on windows 7.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Games Team | Tech

My System

Whats the make and model of your laptop? Not all intel chipsets are made the same and some can't do 3d gaming.

http://folding.stanford.edu
If you have a problem, PM me and I'll respond in the thread you made.
power-supply-information-selection
Nvidia Drivers ATI drivers Direct X
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

its an hp dv6
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

also not sure how helpful this is but

Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
Games Team | Tech

My System

Lets try with updating the driver first off.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=3231&lang=eng

Tell me how it goes.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Seems Your right and I am wrong. Here's what Toms Hardware says to do, tried it and it works. Instead of setting compatibility mode through the shortcut set the compatibility mode of each .exe in the Red Alert 2 folder to Windows XP SP2.Here is a link that may also help. Download Windows XP Mode
Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Games Team | Tech

My System

I totally forgot about compatibility mode.
I also would not use the virtual XP mode to run Red Alert 2 as it has trouble running 3d applications on it.

I also forgot how very annoying Vista is as its been a while since I've had to use, thankfully.

Find the program's folder
example *C:\programfiles\Westwood\Redalert2\*
-find red alert 2.exe
-right click, properties
-compatibility tab
-Set it to run as admin and XP SP2. or Try Win98

Old 04-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

Nothing worked :(
Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
Registered Member

My System

Did you go to the Program compatibility link within the link I sent you> It tells you how to trouble shoot.
What is program compatibility?
These kind of problems are why I have XP and Win7 on the same machine. Makes life so much easier.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
Registered Member

yeah i tried that, but after installing a virtual machine of xp and doing all that it worked, but I had problems with my mouse not working. I got into a game online and I had the game mouse and then my regular mouse on top. Every time I clicked it would just pause the game. I tried installing drivers but its a vm so they didn't have drivers for my wireless mouse for a vm. I even tried with just my laptop mouse and no go. :(
Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

I've have the exact same problem as Johng123 - it starts up and I can hear the sound, and see a static menu but there is no video or animation (i.e. menu transitions, buttons are not highlighted when the mouse hovers over them etc). The opening FMV sequences are all sound but no show as well.

I've set compatibility of all the .exe files XP SP2 - no joy. Tried running Virtual Box with Windows XP, no joy.

I think it's just not compatible with some hardware combos with Windows 7. I have a Dell Inspiron with Intel graphics.

Anyone found a solution other than blowing the dust off my old XP workhorse?