Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

SIM ANT - How to run it on my 64bit OS

This is a discussion on SIM ANT - How to run it on my 64bit OS within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, I got Sim Ant on CD-ROM from Amazon through CD ACCESS. http://www.cdaccess.com/html/shared/simant.htm I asked the seller a bunch of

Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Pin

So, I got Sim Ant on CD-ROM from Amazon through CD ACCESS.

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/shared/simant.htm

I asked the seller a bunch of questions before hand, and they told me no one has ever complained and the game works. I get the box in the mail a few days ago, I need a 12 Mhz CPU to play it (LOL ) and it can run on Windows 3.1, IBM 286, and Mac System 6.0.2 or higher... it also says Windows 95 or LATER.

This is 16 bit software, I think.. so I was sort of worried it wouldn't run on my XP 32 bit windows I had a month ago, let alone my new XP 64 bit install.... so, I try and run it and nothing, I copy the files to my HD and nothing... nothing seems to work! Every piece of old software, including A10 Cuba and DOOM 2 work on my PC.... I also have Oregon Trail with my Apple II emulator...

Do I have to get a Windows 95 emulator? Or Microsoft Virtual PC 2007? I am not sure how to run this game on my PC.

STATS:
Windows XP 64bit
AMD x2 4200+
4 GB RAM 3200, 400
XFX 8800 GT
2 SATA drives

Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You need to use DOSBox to play really old games like Sim Ant.

Download Windows version 0.72 from http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Page showing that Sim Ant will definitely run on DOSBox: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=237&letter=S

Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yea man, I saw that a few hours ago when searching the web. I have it downloaded, going to try it when I get home! My left my PC running since it had some problems with the SATA drives and BIOS, if I come home and BSOD isn't there to great me, I will try it.

Thanks! I just hope it works!!!

Any other ideas? No emulator programs like there are for console games?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

From the site's Information page:
Quote:
DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...

You can "re-live" the good old days with the help of DOSBox, it can run plenty of the old classics that don't run on your new computer!

DOSBox is totally free of charge and OpenSource.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

I heard back from the company I bought it from, they say no one has ever tried running it on 64 bit windows XP and that it runs fine on XP 32 bit home edition... SOOOO, I think changing the compatibility mode MAY work, if not I have DOSBOOT now.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64

My System

Changing compatibility wont work in this case. The 64-bit OS's do not support 16-bit coding so games like the old C&C, DOOM will not work. Getting DOS or even the Win95 Emulator should make these games work.
Aus_Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
Changing compatibility wont work in this case. The 64-bit OS's do not support 16-bit coding so games like the old C&C, DOOM will not work. Getting DOS or even the Win95 Emulator should make these games work.
You are right sir, I get this message when I try it on any compatibility setting....

"The image file C:\filename.exe is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine."

I tried using DOSBOX and it won't work! I followed the instructions exactly, it gives me errors like "Need Windows to Run" and "win error", so I am screwed!

Where can I find a windows 95 emulator?! I don't want to have to install a version of 95 or 98 on my HD....
Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Bochs IA-32 Emulator

Quote:
Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, Bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486, Pentium/PentiumII/PentiumIII/Pentium4 or x86-64 CPU including optional MMX, SSEx and 3DNow! instructions.

Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Linux, DOS, Windows® 95/98 and Windows® NT/2000/XP or Windows Vista. Bochs was written by Kevin Lawton and is currently maintained by this project.

Bochs can be compiled and used in a variety of modes, some which are still in development. The 'typical' use of bochs is to provide complete x86 PC emulation, including the x86 processor, hardware devices, and memory. This allows you to run OS's and software within the emulator on your workstation, much like you have a machine inside of a machine. For instance, let's say your workstation is a Unix/X11 workstation, but you want to run Win'95 applications. Bochs will allow you to run Win 95 and associated software on your Unix/X11 workstation, displaying a window on your workstation, simulating a monitor on a PC.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Exclamation

So I am starting this dead thread again, because why post a new one? SO, I went back to 32 bit XP after a while, but had to sell my PC. I just built a new one with Vista 64bit Home Premium and clearly it won't run Sim Ant... what steps do you think I should do to get this old game to run on Vista 64?'

Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64

My System

The exact same as above...

Quote:
Bochs IA-32 Emulator

Quote:
Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, Bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486, Pentium/PentiumII/PentiumIII/Pentium4 or x86-64 CPU including optional MMX, SSEx and 3DNow! instructions.

Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Linux, DOS, Windows® 95/98 and Windows® NT/2000/XP or Windows Vista. Bochs was written by Kevin Lawton and is currently maintained by this project.

Bochs can be compiled and used in a variety of modes, some which are still in development. The 'typical' use of bochs is to provide complete x86 PC emulation, including the x86 processor, hardware devices, and memory. This allows you to run OS's and software within the emulator on your workstation, much like you have a machine inside of a machine. For instance, let's say your workstation is a Unix/X11 workstation, but you want to run Win'95 applications. Bochs will allow you to run Win 95 and associated software on your Unix/X11 workstation, displaying a window on your workstation, simulating a monitor on a PC.
Aus_Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
The exact same as above...
I tried both last night with no results. DOS BOOT gives me an error when opening SETUP.EXE or MAXIS.EXE. Unless I am using it wrong. I heard messing with the registries would work.. .reg files or something.