Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

Recomendations for a new budget gaming pc

This is a discussion on Recomendations for a new budget gaming pc within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I am looking into buying a new Pc for gaming, i only have around £300 for a budget (is it possible to buy one for that ?) , any recomendations apprecated.

Also, Could linux be used for an operating system for games rather then windows ?

And i was planning on useing my 32" hd tv for the pc, would i need a specific graphic card to do this ?

This is one of the PC's i have seen for sale on amazon for £289.00 - specs:

GeneralBrand:shinobeeProcessorProcessor Brand:AMDProcessor Type:AMD AthlonProcessor Speed:3 GHzProcessor Socket:SocketAM3Processor Count:4MemoryRAM Size:4000 MBComputer Memory Type:DDR3 SDRAMHard DriveHard Drive Size:500 GBHard Drive Interface:Serial ATAAdditional Drives:DVD+-RWGraphicsGraphics Coprocessor:ATIGraphics Card Description:ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024 MB RAMAdditional SpecificationsOptical Drive Type:DVD/CDHardware Platform:PCOperating System:None

is this a good gaming PC ? or could i get something a bit better for around the same price ?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Retired Mod.

Hello Aero GT

I wouldn't personally buy a computer off amazon. The computer seems okay but that graphics card is pretty weak, and plus we don't know what type of power supply is in that computer.

It would be better to build a computer, though to make something decent in my opinion you will need a bigger budget. If that isn't possible, you might wanna buy parts over time or just save up for a better computer.. 300 euros (which is around 430usd) isn't much for a computer for a gaming PC.

In this building thread there is a 500USD amd build, which in the end runs about 530USD(375isheuros). I think it would be worth saving up for that.

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Zealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

just to correct something here
he meant Pounds and not euros
300 Pounds will equal 492$ so 500$ won't be an issue here

with 500$ a good gaming PC could be built, but of course not a high end one, but you'll be able to play all today's games on high and good resolution
(not high on DX11)

!!Please do not PM me about Tech Support!!
RockmasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Ubuntu > Mac > Windows

OS: Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, Windows 7 Starter SP1 (netbook)

My System

Linux is ok for gaming and there are lots of good free and paid for games available. You can use WINE to play Windows games on Linux, but at a performance decrease.

Linux graphics drivers are generally some way behind their Windows counterparts, so Windows is the best choice for more graphics intensive games.

As its free, you could install a Linux distribution (I recommend Ubuntu) and test out a few games. If its not what you are looking for, you can remove it and install Windows.