Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC freezes while playing but music still goes on.

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  McNinja 
#1 ·
Hey!

My PC freezes, but not totally, while I'm playing games (titles like Dying Light, AC Unity and Witcher 3*). When it freezes, it's like watching a screenshot and listening to soundtrack (looped music). Strangest thing is that I'm able to talk on Skype when it happens! Tried reinstalling graphic drivers, but it's no use. Witcher 3 runs smooth as butter for approximately 5 minutes and then that weird freeze happens every time. Airflow is quite good I think (no dust, and multiple fans running in NZTX Phantom with some horizontal CPU cooling from Zalman).
Did not notice any freezes while running FurMark or Prime95.
Sometimes after reset (have to do this after each freeze), PC gets no imput from USB devices (keyboard and mouse) and I have to reconnect them in order to get them working.

My setup: (No OC used!)
i7-920 @2.66GHz
Corsair XMS3 6GB (1333)
Asus X58 Sabertooth
Asus GTX670 DirectCU II Top
Samsung SSD (does not remember which one but it's 240GB) + WD 1TB HDD (it's like 5 years old :D )
Win 7

Not sure if related or not, but sometimes I get Bluescreen with code:0x0000003B (but not recently).

Thanks for any advises!

*Games like World of Warships, Tera Online, Sniper Elite 3 and WarThunder does not crash at all o.o

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey again!

@satrow - I'm not so sure about installing AMD/ATI drivers while I have Nvidia >:p
@McNinja - I've completly forgot about adding PSU to the setup list. It's a Corsair HX750W (about 2.5-3 years old).

Voltages are like this -
3.3v- 3.232v
5v - 5.022v
12v - 11.969v
Those are ofc voltages showed in BIOS (which were never updated >.>)

#6 ·
That PSU is great, it will probably last a decade or so. Voltages are within 5% of 12 volts and have only very slightly degraded over the years.

Can you open up event viewer and save the events so I can look over it.

open start menu and type "event viewer"
left side pane open "custom view"
right click on administrative events and click on "export custom view"
Save it where you like and upload it as an attachment here.
The "go advanced" will open the attachments.

Have you tested your ram at all with only one stick installed at a time? Use memtest and you'll probably want to do this overnight because it might take a while.

MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool

I forgot about the BSOD code, ahh sorry. There's a hotfix microsoft produces for 1394 devices giving the BSOD.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/980932

#7 ·
McNinja - I'm not sure if it will be any help if my system language is polish...but still I'll upload that file in RAR.

About the hotfix - silly thing is that I does not use any IEEE 1394 devices. But maybe it'll help (wireless Xbox 360 receiver does not count as one of those, right ?)

PS. Since Windows were installed, there was 9029 events o_O

Attachments

#8 ·
OK - so I've borrowed my friend's GTX 960, and we let The Witcher 3 run for 2 hours. No problem at all. We've even swapped memory, but with my GPU, it still crashed.
Now the question is, if there is any means to make this GPU work as it should (does not have resources to buy a new one :<)?

#10 ·
It might be a bit hard to do, because I does need my PC for my work (drawing stuff in Rhinoceros 3D), and because of time that passed, since I bought this graphic card - it's been almost whole 3 years (bought it on 5th June 2013, and warranty is for 3 years).
So yeah - I'll need to wait a little, before I'll start playing The Witcher 3 >:D (if there is no other options than RMA or new GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.