Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

My new pc is crashing while playing games

This is a discussion on My new pc is crashing while playing games within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I posted this on another forum but no one really helped me so I'm hoping someone here can! I will start with my specs/parts:

i5 6600k ~3.5Ghz
MSI 170-a Pro Motherboard
EVGA 550Watt Gold PSU
Gigabyte GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB Ram DDR4
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

I recently built this PC by myself (it's my first time doing something like this btw) and I seemed to have no apparent problems once I set everything up. However, when I try to play Ark I crash after 10-20mins, sometimes it takes less time etc. 2 of the times I crashed I had a really weird long obnoxious buzzing noise coming out from the speakers and caps lock didn't work anymore etc (PC froze so I had to do hard reset). The other time a screen came up saying "Windows has run into a problem and will restart :(" or something like that. My PC has crashed about 2 times while not playing ark. I have all the latest drivers downloaded for my motherboard and gpu, and windows all up to date. I even did a clean uninstall of my gpu driver and reinstalled them incase it got corrupted. I've checked my GPU and CPU temps with MSI Afterburner and Real Temp both while idle and ingame ark - they are both fine and stable, there is plently of airflow inside the case with 2 case fans as well as the gpu fan and cpu fan. I ran MemTest overnight to check my RAM and so far there have been no errors (PC did not crash overnight and crashes only really seem apparent when gaming). I checked in the BIOS to see if everything was being recognised by the system - all good. I am not overclocking btw. I ran Furmark stress test for a while and my GPU ran it fine and stabilized at around 67 Celsius. I ran a WhoCrashed scan to check for reasons why my PC crashed and got this:

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 16/02/2017 21:24:18 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021617-15078-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41201, 0xFFFFF30103A66800, 0xD6D00003A9B08847, 0xFFFF910FE1E886B0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 16/02/2017 21:24:18 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x2BE94)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41201, 0xFFFFF30103A66800, 0xD6D00003A9B08847, 0xFFFF910FE1E886B0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: Avast Antivirus
company: AVAST Software
description: Avast Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (Avast Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: AVAST Software MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Please, if someone can help me I would really really appreciate it as I'm new to building PCs and haven't got a slightest idea what may be causing my PC to crash Thank you!
Kiisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Let's take a look at your system temperatures. Follow this guide here:

How to check your system temperatures - Tech Support Forum
Masterchiefxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
Moderator - Hardware Forum

My System

Quote:
2 of the times I crashed I had a really weird long obnoxious buzzing noise coming out from the speakers
This is generally a sign of a bad GPU or over heating GPU.

Can you post a screen shot of your "device manager" window please.

I see your running Avast.....dump that and just let windows 10 use the built in AV (Defender) as Avast has been known to cause BSOD's.

In both dump files....I read it as drivers are the main cause. Although there may some underlying issues; overheating either on the CPU/GPU side or RAM side. So now I have to ask..."How much thermal paste did you apply to the CPU"?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
bassfisher6522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Let's take a look at your system temperatures. Follow this guide here:

How to check your system temperatures - Tech Support Forum
Hello! Thanks for the reply :) Links below.

Idle temps
Gaming temps
Temps in MSI Afterburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
This is generally a sign of a bad GPU or over heating GPU.

Can you post a screen shot of your "device manager" window please.

I see your running Avast.....dump that and just let windows 10 use the built in AV (Defender) as Avast has been known to cause BSOD's.

In both dump files....I read it as drivers are the main cause. Although there may some underlying issues; overheating either on the CPU/GPU side or RAM side. So now I have to ask..."How much thermal paste did you apply to the CPU"?
Hello, I uninstalled Avast and now have Windows Defender running instead :)
I applied a small pea size amount of thermal paste to my CPU.

Device manager screenshot (Hope it's okay, didn't know what to show exactly).

I should also note I have had other BSOD, here are the dump files:

On Sat 18/02/2017 10:01:11 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021817-20859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x19FE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF80317546980, 0xFFFFC980588B6740, 0xFFFFC68A983B19FE)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
description: Full/Desktop Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 18/02/2017 10:01:11 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (0xFFFFC68A983B19FE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF80317546980, 0xFFFFC980588B6740, 0xFFFFC68A983B19FE)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
description: Full/Desktop Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 17/02/2017 20:07:27 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021717-21093-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF800AB82AA8A, 0xFFFFA781EB3BABC0, 0x1)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 17/02/2017 19:04:21 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021717-17187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8051F3D80AE)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xDDF1AB7908, 0x9, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8051F3D80AE)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_02838dee03d82b94\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.49
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.49
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.49 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Oh by the way I should mention something, I am using the previous version of my graphics driver because I thought it would solve the problem, but I guess not. Newer or later version of the driver I still have the same problems.
Kiisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The last error ( Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ) indicates a driver issue.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Please read all of the following instructions found here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

After reading all of the instructions found above post the required logs in a new thread: BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Please note that the BSOD team is very busy and will get to you in due time. If you do not get a reply within 72 hours then you may bump the post.

Do not post any logs here!
Masterchiefxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote