Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

Low FPS problems

This is a discussion on Low FPS problems within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 2.10GHz RAM: 4.00 GB OS: Windows 7 64-bit Model: Sony VAIO VGN-NW125J

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 2.10GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Model: Sony VAIO VGN-NW125J
I have read the sticky, followed all steps and all drivers are up-to-date, I also uninstalled and reinstalled my video cards driver.

The problem I have been experiencing is low frame rate and possibly an above average CPU usage when playing certain games like World of Warcraft and Heroes of Newerth. My gameplay used to be a tad choppy with WoW but turning down all game settings to low has helped it become smoother. The problem is I get a high of 20-30 fps (usually 20) when alone in the wild, but when I go near town it drops to 8-11 (usually 11). My CPU usage also jumps up to 50-60% and the process consumes ~450,000K memory. World of Warcraft isn't a heavy game to run and I used to run it amazingly just over a year ago. I have a slight suspicion that I somehow messed up my CPU or graphics card playing StarCraft 2 on this laptop a year or so back. It seems coincidental that I have been experiencing performance issues when running games since then. The few times I tried to run that game, my laptop overheated and even once the screen turned green and messed up causing my computer to crash and reboot. After it rebooted it seemed fine and I never ran StarCraft 2 on it again. I have gotten a lot smarter since then knowing my hardware's limits, but I can't help but feel paranoid that it's too late for this laptop which I have only had for just shy over 2 years now. I would just like your thoughts and any help to increase my FPS and whether or not you think SC2 could have ruined me.

Thanks,
Rumsy

Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

D/L and run HW Monitor in the background, lets see what the temps look like while you're playing.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
D/L and run HW Monitor in the background, lets see what the temps look like while you're playing.
Attached Files
File Type: txt InGameSept6.txt (24.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Sorry I should have posted this earlier give me a screen shot of hardware monitor, the text report doesn't us the minimum and maximum readings:)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Sorry I should have posted this earlier give me a screen shot of hardware monitor, the text report doesn't us the minimum and maximum readings:)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InGameTemps.png
Views:	26
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	97326  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Their a tad warm, have you tried cleaning the heatsink with a can of compressed air(available at office supply type stores)?
Blow it though the vents doing the exhaust vent first with the laptop shut down and the battery removed.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

you have to get a cooling pad for your laptop if you want to continue playing games

!!Please do not PM me about Tech Support!!
RockmasteR is offline   Reply With Quote