Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

low fps in pc games

This is a discussion on low fps in pc games within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello people, I'm new on this forum, but I was reading it for a while and now I need your

Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello people, I'm new on this forum, but I was reading it for a while and now I need your help.

Every game I play have terrible performance. First I noticed on WoW few months ago, when I even set all settings on low and changed resolution but there was no change.. After formatting computer I could play normal.

Now when skyrim came, I installed it and I have some really weird performance issues. My settings are detected "high" and when I enter in game and start playing, I can play for something 10-15 seconds with fine fps (around 30-50 I would say), and then my fps drop to something like 3-6.. If I set my settings to low, resolution to lowest, I get same pattern.. Good fps first 10-25 sec, and then huge fps drop. I was angry so I downloaded morrowind and I am getting lags there o.O Torchlight and minecraft are lagging too. All my drivers are up to date and here is my system (I hope I will do it right)
Motherboard: gigabyte P35-DS3R,
CPU: intel duo core 2 e4600 mhz
GPU: Nvidia GT440
RAM: DDRAM2 2gb 800 MHz PC6400 KINGMAX (x2)
HDD: 320Gb SATAII 7200 16mb SEAGATE
PSU: 550W ATX2 PFC CHIEFTEC

Also I cleaned vent on processor and I didn't check temps yet. Should I post that too?
Thanks for help (sorry if my English is bad, it is not my first language :) still learning)

Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Your English is better then many of the English speakers :)

D/L and run HwMonitor in the background while playing, after a bit or when you notice it slowing down Alt+Tab back to HWM expand all the trees then use the Win7 Snipping tool to get a image of the HWM window. Post the image as a attachment using the Advanced message(Go Advanced box p) at the top is a paperclip button on tool bar on the tool bar to upload the attachment.

Lets see what the temps and voltage readings look like.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Okay, I have screenshoot already, when I get home I will upload it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

okay here are screenshots, first one is when fps is good (so first 10-20 sec) and other is when it start lagging alot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	101127   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	101128  
Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

The CPU is way too hot for a E4600, it should be running in the low 50's loaded.
Check the heat sink is tight to the CPU and fins of the heatsink are not dust clogged.
Use a can of compressed air(available at office supply type stores and many others) to clean the heatsink.

The 12v reading of the power supply is very low also, we start to see video issues below about 11.7v yours is boarder line under spec at 11.46v.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

to add to Wrench's advice which is absolutley spot on Skyrim has issues at the moment with some setups where it freezes or crashes. Patch 1.2 is coming tommorow (30th) which should fix these issues.

Also to add your power supply is low quality and very suspect

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

I feel pretty stupid now, my vent wasn't pushed till end on one corner, so I pushed it and locked it, tried skyrim, and I dont have any lags, 2-3 hours now. Thanks for help guys :)
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Your Vent? What vent?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

fan on processor
Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Recheck the temps, usually when 1 leg of the heatsink pops up loose you need to redo the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink, air pockets trapped in the paste can make run warmer then it should but not always overheat.