Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inconsistent FPS and overheating

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  flippsided 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to computing and have recently stepped up from a gaming laptop (Alienware) to a shop built custom PC. From my limited knowledge, the components were decent to high spec and I expected better performance.
When gaming, the FPS ranges from 9 to 70 and is jumping around erratically. Microstuttering occurs where I see pause in frames and hear a ripping type sound. I have tried disabling the Nvidia HD sound, the SoundBlaster sound, enabling V-Sync and limiting settings from ultra down to low etc. Nothing seems to work. Additionally, I have run HW Monitor and my CPU is running at 100 degrees c.

System is as follows:
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" SATA III SSD SH103S3/120G
WD WD20EFRX 2TB Red 3.5” IntelliPower SATA3 NAS Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-Bit
Corsair CX-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply
Corsair Graphite 230T Mid Tower with Window - Black/Red LED Fans
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Memory Black HX316C10FBK2/8
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA 1150 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 4690 Quad Core LGA 1150 3.5GHz CPU Processor
Samsung SH-224DB 24x Internal SATA Retail DVD Burner Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB Video Card
BenQ XL2411Z (144Hz) 24" 1ms HDMI Full HD Low Blue Light LED Gaming Monitor

Any advice, guidance or experience from similar problems would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, welcome to TSF

Please post the rest of your HWMonitor temperatures and the voltages from BIOS so we can see how the computer is performing.

If the CPU is reaching 100C (is that idle or while gaming?), remove the heatsink/fan, reapply some fresh thermal paste, and make sure the heatsink legs are firmly locked to the motherboard. Or if it's still under warranty, take the computer back and get them to stress-test the CPU.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi and thanks koala!

I logged into WoW in window mode and was playing for approx. 5mins while I had HW Monitor running. Results are below. I have contacted the supplier and am waiting to hear back, hopefully they will be helpful but if not I will attempt to sort it out myself. Definitely still under warranty, only 4months old.

Voltages
AVCC - 3.344v
3VCC - 3.328v
CPUVcore - 0.128v
VCCIN - 1.170v
DRAM - 1.488v
+12v - 11v
+5v - 5.120v

i5 Voltage - 0.857v

Geforce 970 Voltage - 1.012v and running at 59degreesC

Clocks Cores 0-3 all @ 2499MHz

#4 ·
Your PSU's +12V output (which powers the graphics card, CPU and hard drives) is very low at 11V. The safe range is 11.4-12.6V (5% tolerance). This can cause graphics and heat problems when the computer is put under stress. If those readings are from HWMonitor, check in BIOS to see if you get the same results.

Let us know how you get on with the supplier and the CPU temperature.

#5 ·
Cheers,

The manufacturer have agreed to take back the PC and check the CPU cooling unit. On one hand Im glad they have accepted but on the other disappointed as I was looking forward to pulling it apart myself.
Thanks for the heads up on the +/-5% tolerance, definitely something I didn't know and I will pass on the info when I drop the machine off later today.

Scholar and a gentleman, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.