Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How loud should a PC/GPU be?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  RockmasteR 
#1 ·
Hi, the last couple of months my pc has gone from extremely quite to pretty loud (atleast from what i can tell). Since i'm not sure how loud is too loud and what a normal pc should sound like i'm asking you pros.

There are 2 types of noises coming from the pc (5 when i'm gaming!), first there is the fans - which are really quite.
Then there is a sound from the graphic card which is hard to explain but sounds like a soft high pitch unstable vibrating thing :s It's not super loud, but still pretty annoying.

However the real pain is when i'm gaming, 3 new sounds appears.
The first one is coil whine from the GPU or PSU, but i think the GPU, i only get it when i go over 100fps and it's games like CS:GO, Cities Skylines, Borderlands 2, GTA V etc.
I don't get it from games like Rocket league.
The second sound that appears is the fans from the GPU (I have a MSI GTX970 GAMING 4) which fans only turns on at 50 or 60 degress c.
Somehow that noise doesn't sound right coming from fans, it's sounds almost like they are kinda loose.
However then there is the third sound that appears which is a high pitched soft tone (sounds like tinnitus) coming from what i suspect is the CPU - because when i apply pressure on it the sound gets reduced.

What should i do? Are this normal or should i contact the ones i bought the PC from? I've had problems with them 2 times before when i had to send back 2 PSUs because they caused really sick coil whine.

I've heard someone who've said it could be caused when you have bad combinations of components?

My specs are:

MSI GTX970 GAMING 4g
i-5 4460
Corsair CX750M
msi z97 sli
8gb RAM

See less See more
#8 ·
it sounds like one fan (it could be anyone, CPU, GPU or system fan) are rubbing against a wire, check if this is the case!
try to open the PC Case, and put the PC in close range to your ears and eyes
and shed a light on it if you can
that way you can tell what is happening and from where the sound is coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.