Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] GTA: Vice City and Windows 8.1 'unhandled exception' error

34K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Akshay Dwivedi 
#1 ·
I just installed Vice City on my laptop, which has Windows 8.1 and as soon as I try to launch the game, it gives me an unhandled exception error. I've tried reinstalling the game, running it in different compatibility modes and disabling DEP but that hasn't helped. Can someone help me out with this problem?

EDIT: The game works fine on my Windows 7 PC. This is the non-Steam version of the game.

#2 ·
Re: GTA: Vice City and Windows 8.1 'unhandled exception' error

Try this suggestion from the GTA forum: Bug List with Solutions (PC, PS2 & XBox) - Help & Support - GTA Forums
Problem #7: An Unhandled Exception error occurs.

Solution: This is usually due to main.scm mods. With any alteration to the mission script, you usually have to start a new game.

Alternatively: Open Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL or right-click the Task Bar -> Task Manager) and end all non-essential processes. It is reported that Window Blinds in particular causes issues with Vice City if running alongside it - you may need to end its process.

#5 ·
Re: GTA: Vice City and Windows 8.1 'unhandled exception' error

Oh, I thought I could enable windowed mode by modifying some .ini file or something (similar to KOTOR) but there's no question of pressing Alt-Enter when the game crashes as soon as it is launched.

I've already tried re-installing the game. There are people who claim they got it working on Win 8 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.