Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaming Recording Software

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  KarlsTechnology 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good (preferably free) screen recording software? I had some audio issues but fixed those by using Audacity, which does not record video. I also tried ezvid but it kept crashing for some reason. I am on Windows 8.1. Anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#8 ·
Fraps will work with Windows 8/8.1, sort of. It will capture and record your games but you cannot capture the desktop (something to do with Aero). Also note that video captures from Fraps use .wmv format. The default player in Win 8 will not play them, but Media Player and most other players will. And they may still be uploaded to your preferred editor application.

#11 ·
Fraps is okay, but expect a good performance hit while recording.

also, alternative suggestions:

1. Evolve HQ's social gaming client has the ability to record game play via the in game overlay.

2. while not specifically designed for it, O.B.S.(Open Broadcast Software, which is free), can screen record some games, and even stream, live. just a heads up this one requires some learning to fiddling in some cases to get working correctly.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have you ever heard about AMD Gaming Evolved or NVidia GeForce Experience? After using FRAPS for years I recently used these two and I can say they are VERY GOOD and completely FREE.

- AMD Gaming Evolved probably aims for AMD video cards, but I have tried it's recording with my NVidia card and it worked flawlessly with no big drop in game performance. This app have a pro aspect of running without too much hardware restrictions, like NVidia GE does, but I guess that there are some yet for video recording, so check it out.

- NVidia GeForce Experience is by now my default choice. The performace in recording games while playing was incredible with it. I've recorded the intro from Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes with ultra graphics and I couldn't notice any interference while recording it. My hardware isn't the optimal machine to run hardcore games (AMD Phenom II x4 925, 8gb RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX660 2gb - now it's slightly better with AMD FX-8370E processor), so the performance to me was great. Btw, this app have the con aspect of requiring you having some hardware specifications to run, like an appropriate graphics card, RAM and processor, so check it out. The pro aspects are better recording/playing performance and the fact it comes bundled with recent NVidia GeForce graphics driver.

Plus, both apps have "game configuration optimization" (a few games with AMD GE running with NVidia card and many with NVIDIA GE running with NVidia card), which greatly improve your games quality based on your hardware. Both can directly stream your gameplay through twitch.tv also.

I guess you should try them out. They have many other features you can use in order to have a better gaming experience. Cya all!

#18 ·
Fraps is easy and cheap

Fraps would be an awesome program to go with if you have the hard drive space to record and store all the files. Fraps will break up the clips in about 6 minute chunks are store it that way so its easy for editing and the files will be a bit larger then you'd expect. Quality is great and its easy to use, just set a hotkey and you're good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.