Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameplay issues on Lenovo U430. Please help!

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  ganjeii 
#1 ·
I have a lenovo u430 with the following specs: intel core i5 quad 4210u 1.70ghz but turbo to 2.40ghz, 8gb ram, 64 bit, intel hd graphics family with 1792mb memory, ultrabook. I have downloaded steam games of Black Ops 2 to the solid state drive for best performance; however, I experience around 20 fps in game and its very choppy. I don't have anything running in the background while playing and i even use rasergame booster to help out. My internet is fine as i get sufficient speeds. I have both computer resolution down to lowest as well as game resolution down to lowest. Can someone tell me what i need to do to get a smoother online game play? Thank!!!

#3 ·
I have been having this issue with black ops 2, modern warfare 2, and tf2. those are the only games i have tried out thus far and they are choppy/laggy, especially when i shoot the fps drops pretty fast as i have an fps counter. i am new to pc gaming so i probably wont be familiar with extensive terminology. Thanks!

#9 ·
Speed Test: ping=58 Down=28.90mb/s Up=5.11mb/s

Resolution for all games are set to lowest in-game settings and computer is even set to lower than usual resolution. Games that are severely affected include Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 2 (only games I own that cost $) but Team Fortress 2 can run better than the others (less lag and choppiness). I am playing in an environment that hovers around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks so much again for your help.

#18 ·
I just figured something out that is very essential to my problem and hopefully you all can provide me with a reason/solution behind it: I noticed my game play experience increase DRASTICALLY when i unplugged my laptop from the charger and let it run on battery only. Then i plugged it in and played with it in and awful frame rate. I currently have the laptop on a cooling pad 24/7 when i play as well. Any suggestions? THANKS!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well that laptop isn't a gaming laptop, it's got Intel -GPU HD 4400 not made for gaming, nor are the laptop thermal internals made for gaming. By gaming on it you are basically reducing the lifetime of the unit in half from my experience with laptops, and those that try to game with them. A laptop like that is made to last about 3-5 years at best, and you have cut that in half. Even with laptops made for gaming with switchable graphics with HD 4400 etc... onboard APU-iGPU and also something like a NV 7300-GTX 660-750 the lifetime of that unit isn't long. Some of it depends on how your tech skills are at cleaning and re-seating the CPU-iGPU unit when it needs it, or in your case just the CPU.

About your framerates, well you have HD 4400 it's not a gaming solution and usually when you "unplug" from the power brick and use battery only performance actually decreases, so you have me at a loss there, Especially with the high end gamning laptops I know folks with the MSI and Asus laptops that have to be jacked into the power brick to get good FPS and stability when the real GPU (not the HD Intel) is being used by the game. Maybe BigBearJedi, a tech team member here, can shed some light on this and why your FPS increases when using only battery. I'm not a laptop gaming expert but he is a really good laptop expert.

#20 ·
To reiterate what @ChronoGeek said, it's not a gaming laptop and it's integrated graphics are going to do exactly what yours is doing with games. I recommend a gaming laptop if you're looking for portable gaming but, again, as ChronoGeek said laptop lifespan is about a third that of a well-maintained desktop.:) This site has excellent building advice and can lead you in the right direction in terms of building!

#21 ·
dude its your gpu its only cpu graphics (integrated on your cpu )
it runs on 5 to 10 watt

download gpucapsviewer from ozone3d and see for yourself the aumount of shaders (hd2000 has 6 shader cores)and 1 tmu)

the gtx760 a midrange gpu has 1100 shader cores and sveral tmu`s instead of 1

t is reasonable to assume that the card with more TMUs will be faster at processing texture information.

good site for compare hw is hardwarecompare.com
here is example

GeForce GTS 250 1GB vs GeForce GTX 580

Intro

The GeForce GTS 250 1GB features clock speeds of 738 MHz on the GPU, and 1100 MHz on the 1024 MB of GDDR3 RAM. It features 128 SPUs as well as 64 TAUs and 16 Rasterization Operator Units.
Compare those specifications to the GeForce GTX 580, which has a GPU core clock speed of 772 MHz, and 1536 MB of GDDR5 RAM running at 1002 MHz through a 384-bit bus. It also is made up of 512 SPUs, 64 TAUs, and 48 Raster Operation Units.

(
Power Usage and Theoretical Benchmarks

Power Consumption (Max TDP)

GeForce GTS 250 1GB 145 Watts
GeForce GTX 580 244 Watts
Difference: 99 Watts (68%)

Memory Bandwidth

Theoretically speaking, the GeForce GTX 580 should be a lot faster than the GeForce GTS 250 1GB overall. (explain)

GeForce GTX 580 192384 MB/sec
GeForce GTS 250 1GB 70400 MB/sec
Difference: 121984 (173%)
Texel Rate

The GeForce GTX 580 should be just a bit (more or less 5%) more effective at anisotropic filtering than the GeForce GTS 250 1GB. (explain)
GeForce GTX 580 49408 Mtexels/sec
GeForce GTS 250 1GB 47232 Mtexels/sec
Difference: 2176 (5%)
Pixel Rate

If running with a high resolution is important to you, then the GeForce GTX 580 is superior to the GeForce GTS 250 1GB, by a large margin. (explain)
GeForce GTX 580 37056 Mpixels/sec
GeForce GTS 250 1GB 11808 Mpixels/sec
Difference: 25248 (214%)

#22 ·
So after reading Chronogeek's posted sentence "By gaming on it you are basically reducing the lifetime of the unit in half from my experience with laptops, and those that try to game with them", i will say that that sounds a little far-fetched. I consulted some people regarding your statement and they differed in opinion. I think it's like saying you could get cancer from standing near a microwave oven, While it seems like overkill, I may be true if your did it long enough. But really, computers arent made to last that long anyways. So about the integrated graphic, I had fear that it may be the limiting factor. I am looking into gaming laptops simply because I like the mobile aspect since im a college student. My friend has made his own, very powerful pc for a little over $1000, so i may save for it. I guess I'll have to work with the "limitedness" of my current laptop. But i cant figure why it works better while on battery! Anyone have an idea/explanation??? Thanks to all for input!

#24 ·
The reason that this can reduce the life of the laptop is due to a higher heat output on the internals as intended by the Manufacturer.

Quite honestly prolonged or continued use like this can easily fry that sucker even before 1-2 years.

Heat causes wear on the internal components, certain components (ie. GPU; video card/ CPU) are only rated to heat to certain temperatures. When they surpass the recommended temps they can cause instability and can eventually fail all together if they remain at higher than normal temperatures.

Chronogeek's insight is sound. You never want to stress the system beyond its limitations for extended periods of time.

#23 ·
Solid State drives are great when they work. Unfortunately i had the same problem. when i was putting together my PC two years ago i put in a Solid State drive for better performance as well but it ended up being buggy as well. i tried a number of different things just like you until i finally went and just picked up a $60 Seagate terabyte hardrive and threw it in just to see if it worked since i had tried everything else. after putting that in everything worked fine and i haven't had any problems since. it shouldn't be a problem that you are using that specific laptop if you have upgraded like you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.