Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

Frame rate keeps dropping. >:-[

This is a discussion on Frame rate keeps dropping. >:-[ within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, so here's my problem: For some reason, when I play games on my laptop, they lag like crazy every

Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Okay, so here's my problem: For some reason, when I play games on my laptop, they lag like crazy every 20-40 seconds. Not internet lag, but rather a drop in FPS. For example, I usually get about 20-30 FPS when I'm playing WoW. I'll be playing, and everything will be fine, but then it will just suddenly drop to about 3-4 FPS for about 30 seconds. Let's just say it has caused me to die more than once.

So I did a few tests. First of all, it seems to affect any games that are 3D, both single-player and online. (Although it doesn't seem to happen in any other 3D applications.) It also seems to happen much more often the longer I play; after a few hours it is basically unplayable. (So maybe it could be a heat issue... this laptop has had problems with that before.) Finally, (this is what confuses me,) it doesn't lag on Ubuntu. I can play WoW using Wine, and even though there is a slight drop in FPS overall, (and the fact that sound won't play...) it doesn't have the lag spikes like Windows does.

So I'm kinda stumped. I've tried updating my video drivers, but that didn't help. I thought it could be heat, but wouldn't that affect Ubuntu as well?

This wasn't problem until about a year ago. Like I said, it had some heat problems, I ended up having to replace the graphics card. And that's when this started happening. :/

I dunno. It's basically making my games unplayable, so any help would be awesome. Thanks. :)

Dell Inspiron 1420
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit // Ubuntu 10.04
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
3.0 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 8400M GS

Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

I just resurrected a thread detailing the same problem as you have. See my post in this thread:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f59/...ml#post2711198

It seems like we all have laptops. Maybe the cpu capacity drop has something to do with the battery...? Or some other aspect of laptops that desktops don't have...?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Retired Mod.

It could possibly be a head issue,

Download SIW(download the 'SIW Without Installer (English-Only)') and go to hardware then sensors.

Take your temperatures while idle, then while in-game for around 10 minutes, make sure to minimize the game, as closing it will decrease the temperatures by 10 degrees giving us incorrect readings.. I need your temperatures for all your components.

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Zealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here are my idle temps:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...999/temps1.png

And here are my temps after about 10 minutes:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...999/temps2.png

Yeah, I never realized how hot it was getting. Also, I think those temps are rather interesting... I never got anything that high before I got my graphics card replaced... the old one peaked at maybe 85°C.

I already have a laptop cooler, though. :/ Obviously it's not helping too much. :p

And again... why is Ubuntu not affected? Maybe Windows deals with the temperatures differently? (i.e. throttling the CPU speed to prevent damage, maybe?)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Retired Mod.

Hardware shutting down is in the hardware, not the OS. I think Ubuntu uses less system resources. Anyways, your temperatures while idle and too high and while gaming, are dangerosuly high. I recommend you dust your computer with a can of compressed air, whens the last time you cleaned your computer?

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealex View Post
Hardware shutting down is in the hardware, not the OS. I think Ubuntu uses less system resources.
Yeah, that makes sense. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealex View Post
Anyways, your temperatures while idle and too high and while gaming, are dangerosuly high. I recommend you dust your computer with a can of compressed air, whens the last time you cleaned your computer?
Umm... Last month I think. (Didn't really help the lag at all. :p ) I'll do it again, though.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Retired Mod.

Okay, let me know how that goes and we shall proceed from there.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Okay, got all the dust out (although there wasn't much).

Idle temps
After about 10 minutes

Yeah, no difference really. Like I said, there wasn't much dust.

Also, I've found out that the lag DOES happen on Ubuntu, just much less often. Happened two or three times in about an hour of gaming.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Retired Mod.

Wow those temperatures are really high. Maybe it isn't a dust issue, but there is something making your hardware extremely hot. What was the old GPU in the laptop? Are you running the laptop in a hot area?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

My old GPU was the same as the one I have now: NVidia GeForce 8400M GS.

My laptop is in my room... one of the warmer rooms of the house, but certainly not a "hot area". :p
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Retired Mod.

I'm scratching my head at this one, usually the other area I would look at is your PSU however laptop's do not have PSUs. Is there anything blocking the vents? When you dusted your laptop, did you just dust the vents or did you actually dust the inside by taking the cover off?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

Nope, nothing blocking the vents...
And yeah, when I cleaned out the dust I opened up part of the cover... not the whole thing, just enough to reach most of the inside areas.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried using a laptop cooler?

Grrr. Missed some posts.I meant what kind.....

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Elvenleader3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
Retired Mod.

What is the temperature of the room? Again, I'm stumped. I think I have an idea, but I want to get some second thoughts. While I am absent, let us know if anything new pops up.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

You've made sure your vents are working? This happens to me sometimes. What type of surface to you keep it on?I like to keep mine on wood or anything that won't gather heat like carpets,sheets and blankets.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

The only other thing I can think of is the thermal paste needs reapplying.
Also, just to clarify you started having this problem after you got the new graphic card?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Yeah we were discussing that. Using that idea after we ruled everything else out.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Retired Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebelowzero View Post
The only other thing I can think of is the thermal paste needs reapplying.
I can't think of any other reason besides that. He did get this issue after installing his new GPU. So I guess, I agree on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum999
This wasn't problem until about a year ago. Like I said, it had some heat problems, I ended up having to replace the graphics card. And that's when this started happening. :/