Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

Counter Strike Source: Games freezes or a game crash with a looping sound.

This is a discussion on Counter Strike Source: Games freezes or a game crash with a looping sound. within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't understand why my Counter Strike: Source keeps freezing up in the first two minutes of when I'm playing

Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Marty M. D.

I don't understand why my Counter Strike: Source keeps freezing up in the first two minutes of when I'm playing a map. (Sometimes it freezes when I load a map, but usually inside game).

I didn't just get this game. The game crashing is a recent problem. But I hadn't played in awhile--about a few months, so I don't know if that could be anything. I already updated the patch. I know all my requirements are up to date. And I even checked here... but it didn't really help. Lastly my CD is in perfect condition.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Did the problems start before or after you loaded the patch? Do you have the latest drivers for everything? Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Please post your system specs, so we know what kind of system we're working with.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoril Nerevar
Did the problems start before or after you loaded the patch? Do you have the latest drivers for everything? Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Please post your system specs, so we know what kind of system we're working with.
Did the problems start before or after you loaded the patch? Well, I haven't played Counter Strike Source in ages, I had to get a patch. But no, I didn't have these problems; not until I downloaded the patch.

Do you have the latest drivers for everything? I'm pretty sure I do. My computer, and my graphics card is all pretty new. I'm not sure how else I could check...

Have you tried reinstalling the game? No. I was hoping to do this later... but as my last option.

Windows XP
'Intel Inside' Pentium HT 4
Radeon X1300PRO

I really forgot the rest. I wasn't there when we bought this computer. I remember there's a place to find Systems Specs in your computer to, just forgot how to do that aswell. So I apologize for this, I might be a bit rusty.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

marty, i had this problem also. i fixed it by tinkering with the video settings from the main menu. you pretty much have to play around with everything from resolution to the type of adapter to detail settings you want to use because each computer has it's own likings for these things. also, make sure AA is turned OFF and that you don't have the detail settings too high. the source engine still looks amazing with setting set to low. lastly, try uninstalling everything associated with HL2 including steam and then reinstall everything and contintue to tinker with the graphics settings. update your attempts and the results.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

As dayofdefeat said, on an X1300, you're going to need the detail settings reasonably low. Also, try uninstalling the patch, and see if the problems disappear.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Why do I need to set everything lower? My graphic's card is pretty much over the average limtations for Counter Stirke: Source. I'll still try that and see what happens.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

I couldn't edit my post so I apologize for my double post. Any ways, I did lower the settings but it didn't help too much. The game did last a little longer, but still freezes after a short period of time, about 15mins. But that was just luck becuase I put the graphic setting back on high and it lasted just as long. At least now it's lasting more than two minutes, but I'd prefer it didn't crash at all.

Now just to tell you, there are 'recommend' veido settings that counter strike provides. They all say that my computer fits 'high' graphic settings.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

The X1300 is at the bottom end of ATI's X1K range, which is why it's best to set the detail settings down.

Did you try uninstalling the patch?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Registered Member

You can't uninstall a patch. I doubt it will let you play. It's not a single player game, it's all multiplayer.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

the Source engine almost runs off the most piss poor videocard, Source is all about the CPU, so turning down alot of the setting really shouldnt correspond to the video card he is using.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Do you have the same problem in any other game or graphics-intensive program? Download SensorsView Pro, and post the temperatures.

Half-Life 2 and CS Source can be a real pain to get working properly, so I would try reinstalling the game.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have the same problem in any other game or graphics-intensive program? Download SensorsView Pro, and post the temperatures.

Half-Life 2 and CS Source can be a real pain to get working properly, so I would try reinstalling the game.
No. I've all so been playing Oblivion, and that works just fine. That game needs a very good graphic's card.

CPU: 42c/104f
SYS: 43c 110f
AUX: 43c/110f
HDO: 45c/113f

I'll do that last.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Those temps look okay, so the next thing I would do is reinstall the game. This will at least determine whether it is the game itself or something else.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Alright, I reinstalled counter-stirke (Not the whole steam) and it continues to freeze.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

I've been waiting for a respond. Have you been ignoring my thread?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:36 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sorry for the delay, Marty.

Try updating your graphics drivers. The patch may have a conflict with your current drivers.

Also, if you can, get a benchmarking program like 3DMark05, and run that several times in a row. If you have any other online games, try playing some of those. I'm looking to see if anything else causes similar problems, so make sure you give them enough testing time.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, Marty.

Try updating your graphics drivers. The patch may have a conflict with your current drivers.

Also, if you can, get a benchmarking program like 3DMark05, and run that several times in a row. If you have any other online games, try playing some of those. I'm looking to see if anything else causes similar problems, so make sure you give them enough testing time.
I can't update my graphics driver because the one I have is the latest up to date model.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Did you try the other games and 3DMark like I suggested?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #19
Registered Member

I did try some other games to see if they work, and they did. I didn't get the 3DMark05. I don't want to pay twenty dollars just to play one game.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Marty,

hello! sounds like you got a hum-dinger of an issue.

One thing I would try is to re-patch it if you haven't already.

Also, does this freeze up when you are still in the menu's or after you've connected to a server and started playing? If you can connect before it freezes, then maybe it is having problems with the MODs that the servers are running. I know CS:S people like to MOD the heck out of their servers.

Also try updating your sound drivers as well. Try turning down your sound settings. When I played HL2 and CS:S for the first time, I got AWFUL frame rates because my sound card is generic. I just had to go from High to Medium and voila! 'Sounds' crazy I know, but it did (no pun intendid!)

Your graphics card is perfectly fine for the game. I run it on high with a Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB which is actually equivelent to a desktop 9600 model.

lastly, try running some free spyware/adware/virus scans. You may have something running that doesn't like it when you take it's bandwidth so it freaks out. You say it doesn't happen with Oblivion and that is a single player only, no internet required game, so maybe, just maybe, your computer has an unwanted friend inside. Just a thought however.

ummm....thats all I can think of right now....post back with results.

Gamerman

gamerman0203 is offline   Reply With Quote