Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer instantly reboots whenever I'm gaming

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Stancestans 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is the first time I'm posting on a tech support forum, so I'm not sure if this belongs to the right category. Apologies!

As the title states, my computer will randomly reboot whenever I run any type of game. (ex. CS:GO & Overwatch). I thought it was due to faulty memory, so I ran Memtest86 and there were no errors. I've even tried to do CHKDSK but couldn't find any errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specifications

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

GPU: GeForce GTX 970
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
PSU: Seasonic G Series Modular Cable Power Supply 650W
Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 240M
Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0GB
System Type: 64-bit

**Note** (not sure if related)
----------------------------------
When I open up the Event Viewer, it states that I have a critical error.

Level: Critical
Date & Time: (every single time my computer crashes)
Source: Kernal-Power
Event ID: 41
Task Category: 63

General: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Log:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-06-28T15:35:57.872802400Z

EventRecordID 143063

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Chun-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

See less See more
#8 ·
The 12v reading in BIOS (MSI Hardware Monitor) is okay, but the readings for idle and gaming (Hardware Monitor) are worrying, although it's generally assumed that BIOS readings are more accurate than those given by a Windows program, but the load on the 12v rail is very low while in BIOS compared to when Windows and other programs are running, especially while gaming. If you have a multimeter, you could get more accurate readings from it than what is being reported by HWMonitor.

Is your system configured to collect memory dumps when it crashes? You might also want to disable automatic restart when a system error occurs, so that it displays a BSOD which could provide more info. You could then seek help with BSOD crashes in the BSOD forum.

#9 ·
Hello, so I disabled automatic restart when it encounters an error. I tried to benchmark with MSI Kombustor. When the results show, I press ESC to exit the benchmark and it still immediately reboots my PC. No BSOD.

I suspect it to be a failing PSU, as it frequently rains here at my place and the electricity often drops which might mess up the components of my system.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

#10 · (Edited)
Check in BIOS if there is a setting for power loss recovery. Many desktop PCs have the option of either staying off or automatically turning on following a power interruption. Set it to stay off, so that the next time it loses power abruptly, it does not power up until you press the power button to turn it on.

Your power supply could be failing and/or your electricity supply is unstable. I strongly recommend you protect your pc by using a UPS with automatic voltage regulation and surge protection. It could also just be loose power connectors on the motherboard and other components. Open the case, unplug all power connections and reconnect them. While you're at it, inspect each connector for damages or sooty/browning connectors (easily noticeable if the connectors are white).

Since the issue occurs while gaming, the GPU is definitely of concern. It could be faulty or its drawing more power than the possibly failing PSU can handle. If your board has on-board graphics, I suggest you detach the GPU and use on-board graphics, then stress test the pc for maximum power consumption using Prime95 or similar utility, maybe MSI afterburner? Stress test it for as long as it takes for it to lose power or until you're convinced it only happens when using the dedicated graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.