Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer freezing while playing games?

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Superion 
#1 ·
Well to start things off, I got my computer custom built at cyberpower despite reading some pretty negative reviews about them. Fresh out of the box, the computer began freezing within 20 mins of playing any game. I sent it back and they replaced the CPU and that seemed to do the trick.

It's now been over a year later and the freezing has begun again. I was playing World of Warships earlier today when all of sudden my computer froze and I had to do a hard reboot. However, windows was not starting up. My monitor kept losing video. Even running in safe mode, it eventually lost video or froze within 10 mins. I tried rebooting about 5 times with no luck and sometimes when it crashed it looked like the bios screen was coming up as it said Gigabyte on the top of the screen but then it would lose video.
So I initially thought either my motherboard or cpu were fried. I waited about an hour to try to start it up again and this time it worked. The idle temps were normal and everything seemed fine. Then I waited a little bit and tried to play world of warships again. 10 mins in, I checked the CPU temp and it was close to 60C but about 20 mins later another freeze. I didn't get a chance to look at the temp. However, this time it rebooted fine and did not crash or lose video like before.

Now here I am, trying to find any help on the internet. The 1 year warranty is up so i'm on my own.
Here are my specs:
CPU- AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz
GPU- AMD R9 280x 3GB HIS ICQ Edition
OS- Win 7 64 bit
Coolant- Asetek 570LX 240MM watercooler
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 SLI/Crossover DDR3 SATA3 AM3+
PS- Azza 800W 80 Plus
Let me know if you need any other specs. I can also take a picture of what it looks like inside if that helps at all.

Also, i'm not a big computer wiz so please be as simple as possible...if that makes any sense.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I haven't tried to play any other games but i'll see.

How are the bottom intake fans? Do they have a carpet of dust? Do you have an intake case fan? The exhaust fan there in the last picture looks like it has dust blades, this tells me you haven't cleaned the PC of dust in a while.
The case has no bottom fans and no intake fans.
But yes I don't clean it enough. I'm guilty of that. I will try to clean it and see if it still happens.

#8 ·
I'm going to have to apologize here, I'm not trying to make you feel bad I want to help you.

You need to have an intake fan in order to have cool air flowing through the PC. Your PSU most likely has one, but it exhausts it out the back of your PC before it flows through the PC. Your GPU most likely has a fan on it which intakes cool air flowing through your PC and exhausts it out the back but without proper intake air from the case the GPU could be sucking up warm air causing much struggle to keep itself stable. Which can cause freezing in games. On the other hand, 60 degrees Celsius (for the CPU) isn't too bad, but it's close to the warning level. You can reapply thermal paste as an option, but I would recommend you have an experienced tech handle that. Right now, I would recommend getting some air flow and cleaning out that dust with a can of compressed air.

Is there a slide off cover attached to the bottom of the case to protect the PSUs intake fan from dust? If so, make sure that is cleaned as well.

#9 ·
No need to apologize. I'm sorry I made you think I felt bad haha.

I did find the intake fan under the PSU and there was quite a bit of dust on it and also had loose items on my desk partly blocking it (stupid of me). I had no idea there was an intake fan so thanks for pointing that out. I have yet to experience another freeze since cleaning all the fans.

Thanks to both of you for replying and helping. I'll let you know if it freezes again.
:)

#12 ·
Although I did not freeze, I checked the temps after playing about an hour of world of warships and the CPU was at 71C. From what I know that is higher than it should be.
At least that's what the program says and I hope i'm reading it right haha. The program I use is HWiNFO64.

Anyway I was wondering how hard it is to re-apply thermal paste and if it makes a big difference.

Attachments

#14 ·
Without a heat dissipation system a processor will overheat and burn out in less than a minute. That's why it is important to have thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU. The thermal paste helps make a good contact between the CPU and the Heat sink so the heat can move between the two. Then the fan will pull the heat off of the heat sink, otherwise the heat will stay with the heat sink. A bad setup means your CPU is reading high temps. I'm not saying it's hard to apply thermal paste, but it's a tedious job for the unsavvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.