Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

Both Oblivion AND Morrowind crash at title screen with glitchy noise.

This is a discussion on Both Oblivion AND Morrowind crash at title screen with glitchy noise. within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all - this is my first thread! So here's my problem: I got my new computer last September, and

Old 03-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all - this is my first thread!
So here's my problem:

I got my new computer last September, and I was happy that I could finally play TES4: Oblivion! It worked fine, and I could enjoy the game with no faults.

But then, about a month later, we had an unfortunate power surge - which blew up the power pack on my computer. A week-or-so later, the computer came back with a new power pack, so I decided to celebrate with a spot of Oblivion. But then the problems began.

The game seems to load fine - but once it gets through the opening credits and reaches the title screen's animation (i.e. the big 'IV' floats in from the foreground) and the music begins, there is an awful glitchy 'static-like' noise. With this noise, the game freezes, and crashes to desktop, displaying a Windows 'Oblivion has stopped working' error message.

I thought it was my DVD drive, so I got a new one just recently. But it did the same thing. I decided to contact 2k's tech support line. With their support I did the following:
- Downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA's website
- Blocked all my background startup programs
- Deleted all my Temp. files
- Tried running Oblivion in Windowed Mode
- Tried running Oblivion in XP Mode

None of these had any success - the same problem still occurs.

Anyway, just recently, I've tried Oblivion's prequel, Morrowind, another game that worked fine before the surge. The exact same problem! Same glitchy noise, same error message.

I haven't really tried any other 'high-end' games, as those are the only two I have anymore. But please remember that the games both worked completely fine before the computer was returned after being apparently fixed after the power surge - and all they were supposed to have done is replaced the power pack. And I got a new DVD drive which still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

System:
Machine Name: ARRAN-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: GG638AA-ABU SR5129UK
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00 GHz (2 CPUs), ~ 2.0GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 1257MB used, 1037MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Display:
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
DAC Type: Intergrated RAMDAT
Approx. Total Memory: 496MB
Current Display Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

I'll be really grateful for your help!