Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

ASUS laptop sudden lag during gameplay

This is a discussion on ASUS laptop sudden lag during gameplay within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have an Asus A53s laptop and im having problems on games such as modern warfare 2 and race driver

Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

i have an Asus A53s laptop and im having problems on games such as modern warfare 2 and race driver GRID which will suddenly lag or stutter after about 5 minutes of gameplay.....i've only had this laptop for a week but its already giving me this problem...i need help on this matter...my specs are core i5-2410M 2.3GHz 2nd generation, nvidia geforce GT540M CUDA 1GB, windows 7 home premium, 4GB RAM and 500GB HD.....i appreciate it if someone could help me solve this problem...thanks in advance...

Old 06-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi, Have you checked your system temps in the BIOS? As you may already know, most laptops don't have a efficiant way to dissapate all the heat that is created during gaming. Check your system temps in the BIOS and reports back what they are at idle and after gaming for a bit. (Check the link in my signature if you are unsure how to do this.)

Good Luck

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi there, i have checked my system temps using SpeedFan but if you recommend me to check it in the BIOS then i'll look into it but anyways...i'll just let you know bout the temperatures when idle and after gaming using SpeedFan. At idle state, GPU:41C, HD0:36C, Temp1:40C, Core 0:29C, Core 1:28C, Core 2:29C and Core 3:29C. After gaming, GPU:73C, HD0:35C, Temp1:40, Core 0:55C, Core 1:54C, Core 2:54C and Core 3:54C...is my GPU too hot??
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes, 73 degrees is too hot. Speedfan and most other apps are not always 100% accurate but assuming that it is, that is to hot. I would download GPU Z to verify.(just google it). Here are things you can try to fix the issue if GPU Z confirms the high temps.

-Make sure all vents/fans/airways are clear of obstructions and free of dust and dirt buildup.

-Keep laptop on a flat hard surface during use.(especially while gaming)

-If you already do what I suggested above, then the next option would be replacing the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu. Arctic silver works well and can be purchased online at places like newegg.com or from your local computer shop. See link below for application.

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5

-Also, an external cooling pad may help some but probably not that much.

In all honesty though, laptops simply are not designed to game very well. Everything is too crammed into their cases to dissapate heat properly.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

alright...i'll download GPU Z to verify it. As for those suggestions, I do play games on a flat surface and I am also pretty sure that the fans and vents are still dust free because like I said earlier I've only had this laptop for only a week. As for the thermal paste, I'm afraid I'm unable to do so because my warranty is till valid so I do not want to open it or do anything else to my laptop as it may as you know void the warranty. Do you think if I send it back to the place where I bought it would be able to help me do so? but anyways I must agree on you about gaming on laptop as of course most laptops are not meant for gaming but I decided to bring up this question because this is the first time i won a laptop and I was wondering am I the only one having this problem?......thank you for the suggestions anyway.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Whoops, I didn't see that the laptop was brand new. Yeah, not worth voiding your warranty. Anyway, We see alot of posts here on the forum regarding similar issues with laptops/gaming. You could try contacting the manufactuer but I have my doubts that they will/can do anything. Its a widespread problem with dedicated GPU laptops.

If your really into gaming, your better off saving up and building a desktop. There is a great guide with prices and specs on the "building" section of this forum. I linked it below for you. You will get better performance, have more upgrade options, and higher quality components.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ly-448272.html

Just another thing to note: Heat kills components, so there is a chance of physical damage to your laptop if you continue to game with it.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Well, it seems like there isn't a solution to this I suppose and yeah I agree with you again on building a desktop for gaming purposes cause I too own a desktop but its 3 years old already and i just got this laptop for school purposes and not to mention a bit of gaming...I also do not have any problem such as this on my desktop and I can play hours and hours on my desktop with no problem at all...the last thing you mentioned really had me thinking bout gaming on my laptop cause obviously I would not want to shorten my laptop's life or killing it's components due to the heat...how about Alienware laptops?...models like M11Xn or M17X...are those laptops really good for gaming or it may just happen to be like any other laptops??...what do you think?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Im afraid the alienware's aren't any better in my opinion. They will play games well enough I suppose but they still have their fair share of issues. Do some research and you might find one thats decent. I'm not an expert on alienware stuff but I do know that they are very expensive for what you get. You could maybe look into upgrading your current desktop. Depending on your current components you have, it may help prolong building a new one for a while.
Good Luck
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

No laptops are designed for gaming, Not even Alienware's (witch are not worth the money they are just tarted up dells).

The only things i can suggest to you is Buy a laptop cooling mat to place under your laptop while gaming to try and keep it cool. If you wont want the trouble of carrying a cooling mat around with you buy some wooden/rubber mats so you can raise the laptop off the surface its on increasing airflow

Also where are you when your playing your games with your laptop. at your desk eg. Hard surface like wood/metal

Or are you somewhere like your bed where your bed will be covering your vents and suffocating your laptop
Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Registered Member

@cloudedthought: I see. Yea i think I'll just upgrade my desktop. My mobo is an Asus M2A-VM, can you recommend me some good graphic cards for this mobo or maybe get a new mobo instead. I'm currently using a Asus EN9500GT OC graphic card.
@a1tecice: I play on a hard surface which is a table made of out wood. I don't mind carrying around the cooling mat but is it worth it to buy the cooling mat?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Asus makes pretty good boards for the most part so I would just buy a better video card. You can't really upgrade the motherboard without upgrading the processor, ram, etc....

What are your current full system specs? (besides the mobo and gpu which you already told us.) That would help determine what would work best. You will need at least a 650w PSU to be safe with gaming. We recommend using Corsair PSU's. If yours isn't good enough, you will have to include that into your budget as well. The power supply is the lifeblood of the system and builders often overlook its importance. Which brings me to my next question, how much do you want to spend?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

This is a good buy for the video card. It will improve performance signifigantly.

Newegg.com - MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

and the power supply if you need it.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
ROG Enthusiast

My System

I agree with the above comments, Also yes its worth buying a cooling mat if the heat is slowly killing your laptop
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

sorry for the late reply, have been busy this couple of days...
@cloudedthought:my budget is around $300-$400...
@a1tecice:what cooling mat brand i should get?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The video card and the PSU I linked above only total around $200-$250. If you have a decent PSU, you can subtract $90 from that price. You should be able to still afford a decent cooling mat too that way. I'm not the person to recommend one of those though bc I've only ever used one and it didn't help much.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
ROG Enthusiast

My System

Me personally would reccomend this one:

Belkin Laptop Cooling Stand in Black With High Capacity Fan (F5L001erBLK): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

But i don't use my laptop for gaming and this is the best one i can find. i may be proved wrong though so don't take it as gospel
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
Registered Member

I've had a similar problem with my Asus G73sw.

But... I've diagnosed the problem with this. The simple answer was that the power supply cord doesn't fit as snug as it should. My laptop can literally sit on the desk, and I have to play around with the cord to make sure it's properly seated where it connects to the laptop. (take a look at the battery power icon on your computer to see if it's lit or flickers)

When the power is connected properly, it flies. (playing Alice, Return to Madness with PhysX enabled at 1920x1080 resolution with zero issues)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

@cloudedthought, @a1tecice: thanks a lot for the recommendations and advice...
@the1jake: hi there, so what if it flickers?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
Registered Member

Hey bernky, i'm a N43SL user. i had a same problem as you're having right now, i just found the soloution. i bet that you always use "ASUS Power4Gear High Performance" mode playing the game, don't use it, it's where caused the problem. just go to the power options in control panel choose windows built in "high performance" instead, then try playing the game, the problem is solved. that's how it worked for me.