Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Graveyard > Archives

***Unsticking Keyboard***

This is a discussion on ***Unsticking Keyboard*** within the Archives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I spilt pop ("soda") on my keyboard about a week ago, and now a few of my keys are sticking.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Pin

I spilt pop ("soda") on my keyboard about a week ago, and now a few of my keys are sticking. I can't go out and buy a new keyboard because this one is nice, and I just bought it awhile ago. Does anyone know how I can unstick my keys? Thanks a lot!

Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf
it would be tedious...but you could (unplug it) pop the keys off, and clean it with some q-tips and water (not inside the keys but around the keys and sticky parts) wait for it to dry and hook it back up

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok thanks. (It's a wireless keyboard by the way).

So, all I do is pop off the keys? I didn't know they just popped off. Will they go back on?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via ICQ to V0lt
I would not advise "popping" the keys off. This used to work with older keyboards, but with some of todays models this'll break things. I would recommend taking the whole thing apart and swabbing between the keys with the plastic cover off. Be very very careful with the printed platic circuits- if you put them back in the wrong order, the keyboard will not work at all. It won't be damaged, but it won't work either.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf
eh I've alwasy popped them off, but I always buy the cheapest one I can find

Guess I should have checked before recommending it

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

only on laptops have i seen keyboards that could be broken by popping the keys off.

not that i doubt this, because like elf, i always buy the cheapest one i can find.

but as far as it goes, i would go ahead and try popping one of the keys off, because im not sure that it is possible to clean it good enough without popping them off, unless you dissassemble the entire thing, leaving the keys hanging in place, and then soak it in hot soapy water, and rinse well.

make sure it is completely dry before reassembling it, water is bad in here.

otherwise, go find a nice cheap replacement for it.

in today's world, when the keyboard and mouse get hammered like they do, dropped and stuff spilled on/in them it almost doesnt make sense to buy a good one. (unless you never eat or drink near the computer, like in school)

also, automotive parts stores sell "brake and electric motor cleaner" and this is wonderful stuff, although it washes the letters off of most things.
but, if you were to test a bit of it, and it isnt washing the letters off, you can safely flood the entire thing with the cleaner, and the soda would come right out. then, make sure and shake as much of the liquid out of it as possible, and then let it dry for at least 20 hours.

rubbing alcohol is great too, if any of the internal parts have soda on them, you might try rinsing them heavily with rubbing alcohol, but do not scrub, at all. many of the parts inside are extremely fragile, and could be rubbed off.

TSF is funded by our Admin's pocket, care to help?
Power Tip: Subscribe to your thread (Thread Tools) to receive an instant email notification when you get a reply.
New Members: Creating a single new thread in the correct section is the best way to assure your thread will receive a reply.
</signature>
Old 09-25-2004, 06:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Pin

Thanks everyone for your help :) I ended up taking a Q-tip soaked in water and going around the keys. But by mistake, I popped one off. It didn't harm anything so I ended up popping them all off and vacuming/washing everything. Works great now, and no more stickiness
Old 09-25-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

Wow.........surely a keyboard is not worth that kind of time/effort when you can get a (cheap, but functional) new one for $10..
Old 09-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Pin

Hehee well I paid a fair ammount for this keyboard, and I've only had it for about 1 year so I didn't mind cleaning it. It didn't do all the keys, just the letters and a few others. (Took me about 1/2 an hour)
Old 09-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltSide

also, automotive parts stores sell "brake and electric motor cleaner" and this is wonderful stuff, although it washes the letters off of most things.
but, if you were to test a bit of it, and it isnt washing the letters off, you can safely flood the entire thing with the cleaner, and the soda would come right out. then, make sure and shake as much of the liquid out of it as possible, and then let it dry for at least 20 hours.

If you use this stuff, it MAY damage the contact membrane underneath the keys(it swells it up)! I used it on a board at work and it did exactly that, but different companies may have different membranes, so you may want to test it first!

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:34 AM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

i hadnt even considered that happening.

we wouldnt want to ruin anyone's keyboard.

thanks for mentioning that.

TSF is funded by our Admin's pocket, care to help?
Power Tip: Subscribe to your thread (Thread Tools) to receive an instant email notification when you get a reply.
New Members: Creating a single new thread in the correct section is the best way to assure your thread will receive a reply.
</signature>