Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Graveyard > Archives

Can Ping OK, but cant connect ?

This is a discussion on Can Ping OK, but cant connect ? within the Archives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all :) This one is racking my brains, so if anyone can help, then thank u in advance !!!!

Old 11-19-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all :)

This one is racking my brains, so if anyone can help, then thank u in advance !!!!

Got a domain, running NT4 and 2k, some PC's in a different building, so all connected via routers, etc..
In my office, i can ping every PC on the network, but......... heres a problem
In another office, i can ping NT4 desktops and map a drive to the C$ or any share even, but if i want to connect to a laptop, it dont work....
I can ping these laptops which are running win2k, but i am unable to connect to the C$ or any share.
Try to map to the named share on these laptops and the message 'Network name not found' comes back (although u can ping by name and resovle to IP)
Try to map to the IP address of these laptops and the message 'network name not found', although i can ping this laptop, and i know a user is logged onto it OK ?

What u reckon, a gateway problem, a router not allowing return data, etc ?

Cheers
(beers on me !)
Stu

Old 11-19-2004, 05:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

Where are these laptops located? same subnet or remote subnet?

You say you can ping the laptops by name and they resolve and reply but you cannot map a drive to them by name? Try mapping a drive to them using their IP address, i.e., start > run > \\172.16.24.150\c$

Does this work?

Need more info but at the surface it sounds like a DNS issue.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Makes no odds if there on a different subnet, unable to map a drive to these win2k machines from a different location, went to the office where these machines are, these are on the same subnet, even connected to the same switch, but just unable to map a network drive at all, (need to use remote software <Dameware> to connect to these machines and cant establish a connection that way either)

Nothing is Disabled in the services, really baffling this one is....
mapping via IP address gives the same error
I had 2 identical built machines, on the same subnet and same switch, can ping each other OK, but can't map a drive. Its almost like theres somthing blocking it, i.e, like a port number is blocked somehow ?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dansevans

First the easy things... is File and Print Sharing enabled on the laptops? (i've missed this before and get the results your describing).