Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Where are my other clipboard items?

This is a discussion on Where are my other clipboard items? within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I wonder what might have happened to my clipboard items. I cut two passages- one right after the other- and

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

I wonder what might have happened to my clipboard items. I cut two passages- one right after the other- and then pasted them into another part of my doc. Only the last passage made it. Clipboard shows no other items except the last one yet I didn't close the program. Can I not cut more than one item at a time before pasting? Or can I only cutl, then paste, then go back to cut again?

I have Windows XP and Word 2002.

thanks

Old 08-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Hi

Your clipboard should be able to hold 24 items. If your RAM is greater than 64MB then the clipboard can hold 8MB worth. Bear in mind that unsupported formats cannot be copied to the clipboard. Go to Edit > Office Clipboard to show the clipboard to the right of your screen. Then try a few cut/copy and paste operations. Each time you copy, you should see the text appear in the clipboard pane. Let us know if you can see the items in the pane first of all.

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tried again and it appears that I can't cut two items of text, one after the other, and then paste them because the only thing that remains on clipboard is the last item. I am only cutting Word text and pasting it into the same Word doc but it won't do it. It says item 1 of 24 and I would cut 2 items but the first one is eliminated when I cut the second one. So, not sure how to resolve that.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Hi

Sorry, you've got me beat on that one. The best person to answer would be Anne Troy but I haven't seen her around here for a while.

The only other thing I can suggest is a Repair on Office - pop in the Office CD and choose Repair from the menu.

If I come across anything else I'll let you know - sorry.

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

I know it may sound lame, but does the same thing happen when you're using Copy instead of Cut?

Moreover, you have to go Edit menu > Office Clipboard, before starting multiple cutting/copying.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus, Networking Team

OS: Windows Vista Business SP1, Windows XP Professional SP3

My System

Office Clipboard is capable of copy/pasting multiple items, but the Windows Clipboard is not. If you're copy/pasting multiple items within Office (not, for example, copy/pasting from a passage in IE to Office) it should be stored unless what multiple items are being copied are exactly the same.

Glaswegian's suggestion to repair your Office installation seems like a good step to take. Since Office Clipboard is obviously on and you're copy/pasting between Word documents, something may be wrong with it.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks Zazula: I did not know that and you're right. If I go to Edit menu and turn it on, then cut multiple items they all show up. If I just use the right mouse button, it only picks up the last item. Doesn't matter if it's copy or cut. So, the key is to go to edit menu and not use the right button if cutting or copying multiple items of text at one time.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

I'm glad you sorted it out, originale - cheers! :)

(The Cut thing is linked to a known issue, that I wanted to eliminate as a possibility.)