Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent help needed with corrupt office 2003

SOLVED 
2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Stancestans 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I am not very good at computers and the following happened. Yesterday all of a sudden my signature on new mail sent dissappear. Then when I change it from HTML,i could sent mail. Now I cannot open any of my older word documents. Get error that says file is locked and in use with other user.

It is office 2003 on xp. Yes, I know it is old,but for now its all I have. I also do not have the disk of office 2003. I can get 2007 with serial number. If I install that,will I loose all my mail,as it is important for my business.

Hope somebody can help me.
Thank You.
d.

#3 ·
Hello to all,
Hi :wavey: :welcome: to TSF!

Now I cannot open any of my older word documents. Get error that says file is locked and in use with other user.
I do not see the error you mention in the screenshots you posted. Try opening the word document using the Word web app available at https://products.office.com/en-us/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online. You may have to sign up for a Microsoft account before you can use it. Alternatively, you can use Google Docs here https://www.google.com/docs/about/ and see if your word document is still intact and not corrupted. If the document opens just fine and there appears to be no corruption to its contents, make a backup of ALL your important documents. You are treading on dangerous grounds by running XP on your work/business computer.

It is office 2003 on xp. Yes, I know it is old,but for now its all I have. I also do not have the disk of office 2003. I can get 2007 with serial number. If I install that,will I loose all my mail,as it is important for my business.

Hope somebody can help me.
You can migrate your emails and other Outlook 2003 data to Outlook 2007 (Office 2007). Follow the tutorial here https://www.lynda.com/Outlook-2003-tutorials/migrating-from-to-outlook-2007/61992-2.html for detailed instructions, before you embark on installing Office 2007. Your Office 2003 documents shouldn't be affected by upgrading to 2007, but it goes without saying that you need to have a backup of your data. You never know when disaster could strike.

#4 ·
Hi, Thank you for the swift responce. Well,it all started with a little grey block that appeared above my signature when I try to sent mail. And only changing from HTML allowed me to sent mail. Then after that, I discovered that I cannot open any word document, or attachment,even a pdf file in mail that I receive.

All point me to something that changed in the whole office package. But if I can repair/ solve, it will be great. I am busy getting a new laptop, but for now this is what Ive got.

I also get a message that says something in the line of changes has been made to the macros and all files.

I,w take more screens hots of what happening,maybe it clreas the picture of whats going on here.
But again,many thanxs for the responce.
D.

#6 ·
Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs> Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

As for the screenshots referring to 'Normal', those will be references to Word's 'Normal' template, which may have been damaged. In that case, answering 'Yes' to the prompt to replace it may be the way to go.

#8 ·
Open Run, type in installer and press enter. This will open the Windows\Installer directory. Look inside this folder for temporary files/folders called MSIxxxx.tmp and move them all into a new folder (safer than deleting them). You can use Search to find them using the search term msi*.tm. In Run dialog again, type %temp% and press Enter to open the temp directory. Delete everything inside it (skip those that cannot be deleted). Try running Office 2003 repair again.

#11 ·
If you don't have tons of Macros, Word>Tools>Macros. Then post each with the name and description. An unlikely solution but worth a shot is System Restore to a date before the problem. If it doesn't work, return it to the present.

#13 ·
Hi,

When I open word, unde rmacors, I find nothing.
But what I never received before(when all was still working) is this message upon closing word.

"Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal, do you want to save the changes" I clicked no.

But all the same,cannot open any stored word document or even a PDF.
When I click on new mail, and select HTML, that mail cannot be sent.

#14 ·
As it's been said already, you need to repair Office and for that you need installation media and product keys. In post #3 I gave you options for checking your documents if they are still intact and not corrupt. You cannot open them using the current installation of Office because it needs to be repaired, but that doesn't prevent you from opening and verifying them to see if they still have their contents intact or have been damaged by malware for example.

You said you could get Office 2007. I suggest you uninstall 2003 and install 2007 instead, unless you can get 2003 installation media.

#19 ·
Just to calm my nerves. Is there a explanation why if I sent a mail with just text, it go through. When I forward one of my older mails, in HTML, then it cannot snet it and i gte a warning that my mail serve rcannot not be found. If i remove all of my signature, and just leave text,select plan, then I can sent it. Is that also related to a corrupt xp platform,or would that only be related to a corrupt office package. Which of the two is it now.

It might sopund stupid, but I,m juts affraid if I put all this documents on aother pc,that the same wil happen there. I plan to install registered ESET and Malware. Also keep it just for my business. But in marketing myself,obvious I need the NET.
Again, thank you for your time,and yes, I am little stupid when it coem to these stuff.

#20 · (Edited)
Hello dunesurfer,

You cannot compose and send in HTML because Outlook uses MS WORD as the message editor! Back to corrupted MS Office or O/S or BOTH! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....
:sad:

#23 · (Edited)
How to transfere them to the new pc without getting some bad stuff with them.
Ok,Now my next question. What will be the best now to save all my mails with their attachments and transfere to new PC.
You can migrate your emails and other Outlook 2003 data to Outlook 2007 or your new version of Office Outlook. Follow the tutorial here for detailed instructions. The Outlook file (has .pst extension) is what you need from the old computer. Regarding bad stuff, just make sure to install and update a good antivirus and antimalware program before downloading and/or opening attachments. Make sure all important Windows Updates and updates for Microsoft products like Office are installed as well. In fact, checking for updates and installing them is among the very first things that you should do on a new PC. Depending on the version of Windows that your new PC has, there could be hundreds of important updates to install, so this process can easily take hours, especially if you do not have a fast internet connection. Be patient and keep checking for updates until there are no more important updates to install. It's important that you keep your computer updated for security and optimal performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.