Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

[SOLVED] Word 2010 Page numbering X of Y

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Word 2010 Page numbering X of Y within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HI, In 2008 Macropod answered this question for someone on Word 2007. They have 3(or more) sections and only want

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

HI, In 2008 Macropod answered this question for someone on Word 2007. They have 3(or more) sections and only want the total pages numbers to start counting from Sect 3 onwards. I have tried this on Word 2010 and can't get it to work...here's what he wrote:
1. In the first Section's header/footer, create a nested field coded as {SET Scn1 {SECTIONPAGES}}
2. In the second Section, create a nested field for the 'Y' expression coded as {={NUMPAGES}-Scn1}
If you're going to have two or more un-numbered Sections, simply repeat the first Section's code in each such Section, changing the '1' to the Section #, then incorporate each of those into the Y expression (eg {={NUMPAGES}-Scn1-Scn2}).
What I get is ie: Page 1 of . where the numpages is suppose to be is blank. any suggestions? I have typed it in exactly as he has shown....
Thankx,
Geminary

Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Geminary,

If Section 3 is the only one that needs the 'Y' count, you don't need a formula - simply use a SECTIONPAGES field.

FWIW the field code works in Word 2010, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong there.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Macropod, thank you for replying : -) . I wasnt' quite clear. Document has 5 sections with a total of 18 pgs. Sec 1 (pg 1) and 2 (pg 2) are cover page and TOC respectively. We don't want to these to be counted in total pages. So our header should be Page 1 of 16. I have set Sect I with formula , and Sect 2 with formula. I set sect 3 to be {=NUMPAGES}-Scn1-Scn2} and it gives me a blank space. If I just use SectionPages as you suggested, it just counts pages in that sect (which I didn't fully explain before). this is something the organization wants to use frequently for their docs so sorting it out would be great. And sorry, but I am not great on formulas or code so specific is good for me. Really appreaciate your help!!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Geminary,

OK, did you create all the field braces (ie {}) via Ctrl-F9 in the document? Did you unlink the headers for Sections 2 & 3 from the preceding Sections? Did you insert a field coded as:
• {SET Scn1 {SECTIONPAGES}} in Section 1?
• {SET Scn2 {SECTIONPAGES}} in Section 2?
• {={NUMPAGES}-Scn1-Scn2} in Section 3?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

OK... Macropod, that was great.. it was the brackets ..I was creating by the Shift key and bracket. Thanks SO Much!!!