Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Restoring Project 2013 with SQL

SOLVED 
1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  RobertClancy 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm in need of some urgent help please! We had a Project 2013 environment consisting of 2 servers - a SQL 2012 server and a Project 2013 front end server with a full install of SharePoint 2013 and Project 2013 web app. Due to a server failure, all that I'm left with is the SQL server component.

I've built out a new SharePoint/Project server and am at a loss as to how to repoint the existing SQL data to it.
Attempting to run SharePoint configuration wizard by pointing to the existing server will see the sharepoint_config db fine, but will error out with 'Missing SharePoint products and patches' issue. The list of missing components includes MS Project Server, although it is installed. The "installed across server farm" column listed the previous name of the front end server, so in the hopes of resolving this, I renamed the new server the same with no better result.
My other attempt was to step through this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207305(v=office.15).aspx which seemed promising. Scenario One : Restoring from SQL backups is exactly my scenario, except that I don't need to restore dbs as the SQL server is intact. However, I do not get further than step one in the section after the SQL restore because opening the SharePoint Configuration Wizard throws the error 'cannot browse to the SP Cent Admin Web App because it has not been created yet':

To restore content databases in Central Administration 1.After restoring both databases, you next have to connect to a server on your SharePoint farm and open Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SharePoint 2013 Products -> SharePoint 2013 Central Administration

If anyone has any advice or resource they can point me to, I would really appreciate it as I'm at a loss as to what to do next to bring this back online with the existing data.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
sounds like your new installation of SP and PPM is not yet complete and working. Which steps have you taken, a full install with downloading all the prerequisites and running through a "Standard" Installation?
Created a NEW config database for SP and ran through the wizard successfully?
Finally, in the CA when clicking on "Manage Service applications", do you see "Project Server" and "Project Server Proxy"?
Can you create a NEW Project Server site with a NEW Project Server database?
Sorry for all the questions, trying to find out where the issue is.
Regards!

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, a full install with all preqs for SharePoint and then a full install of Project. I stopped at the configuration wizard (at the end of the Project install) on the step of creating a new SP farm as I could not find documentation on how to avoid overwriting the existing SQL DBs. I can definitely create a new site and a database, but I'm assuming I'll have to build a secondary SQL server and then restore the existing databases over it? This is the part where I'm stuck as I don't see this as a valid restore method in anything that I've come across so far.

#5 ·
If you don't have a FULL FARM backup but only the databases, you need to create a new farm and a new CONFIG database.

Don't worry, you can name it differently than the existing one. The same for the first content database. All data (for existing SharePoint sites and also all the projects) are in the existing CONTENT and PROJECTSERVER databases, not the CONFIG db.

After the new farm is fully deployed you can add a Project Server site and point to the EXISTING Project Server database. If you need to also keep the Project sites (documents, risks, issues), you need to add the existing SP Content database where these sites have been created.

Go to Central Admin -> Manage Service Applications -> Project Server Service Application -> Create Project Web App Instance.

In the next window enter the name of your SQL Server and use the existing Project Server database.

If it will not help to recover the database, I think it remains only to apply Project Recovery Toolbox for Microsoft project recovery. I don't know how else to solve this problem. http://www.oemailrecovery.com/project_recovery.html

In any case, start with a backup of your databases on the SQL Server in case you haven't this so far. :)
Please let me know if you need more Information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.