Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with Outlook indexing

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JMDaniels 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to anything technical so I'm starting to pull what little hair I have out. So any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I'm using Outlook 2007 enterprise edition. PST file is about 3.9 GB's. I have a ton of folders and many of those folders have sub folders which can contain hundreds of items. I just moved about 2-300 items form two sub folders to one of my main folders and then deleted the sub folders once they were empty. Outlook started indexing which it usually does when I move things around but now it's been indexing for over 4 hours and the number of items being indexed keeps going up. At one point the number of items being indexed is rising super slowly. It will go up one or two items and get stuck there for a while, still indexing. At this point it almost seems as though its been stuck at one number for a while so does not even look like its doing anything anymore but it says its indexing.

In the past my search function has not worked so i've had to reindex. This time though, I'm worried about what might happen if I close outlook while it's indexing or try to disable it while it's doing it. My biggest fear is that the files I had moved over will disappear. I have no idea the specifics of what I moved over so I cannot even tell if they've been moved or what have you. It seems as though the deleted sub folders, which usually go to my deleted items once I delete them have disappeared as well. Maybe I'm seeing things not sure :smile:

Is there anything i can do to speed this up? Am I in danger of losing anything if i shut my outlook down while it's indexing? My main concern is losing items. I wouldn't be so paranoid if i could find those deleted sub folders.

Anyways, again, not that strong technically so any help i could get would be greatly appreciated.

JMD

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.