Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merge data from 2 worksheets

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
I'm trying to update our inventory at work using Excel. We have the main worksheet containing all products, barcodes, stock levels, etc. for over 20,000 products, and another worksheet containing just the barcodes and our most recent stock count for roughly 15,000 products.

How do I merge the 2 worksheets so that the stock numbers match the correct barcodes?

Main worksheet columns - A: Product Name, B: Barcode, C: Current Stock Level

New worksheet columns - A: Barcode, B: Stock Count

It's probably really easy to do, but I'm new to Excel and don't know anything about formulas, merging or consolidations.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Paul I do this on a small scale with simple copy and paste and while there may be a more sophisticated way I don't see it looking at all the headings. To copy and paste my way you would have to make the columns the same in the new worksheet columns by adding the same columns to the new one and whether there is no data in the 2 added columns doesn't matter as long as they are in the same place then copy and past the new one into the old one remembering until you save it nothing is final is my suggestion and that way you can play with it.
BTW you did not mention your version of Ms Office and I am on 2013 but as long as you are Ms Office 2007 or above I have been doing it this way for a long time.

#3 ·
Thanks Rich. That's the way I was hoping to avoid as there are thousands of lines to copy and paste, and not all the barcodes from the main worksheet are in the new stock count, meaning I would have to check every row by hand to make sure the stock number matches up with the correct barcode.

Also, that wouldn't adjust the totals for products where we already have a number in the 'current stock level' column in the main sheet.

What I'm looking for (and I don't know if Excel is the right program for this task) is a formula or method that matches the corresponding barcodes in each worksheet, then adjusts the stock level number for that row, leaving everything else untouched.

It's Office 2013.

The boss is back on Tuesday, so I could be in for a long day tomorrow. :smile:

#4 ·
Yikes sounds like a big annoying project. I looked through every category in Excel twice and if there is something there to do that I sure don't see it though. That doesn't mean there isn't, just means I can't see it and I suspected it was a big project for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.