Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Lock Only Format on Cells Excel 2003

This is a discussion on Lock Only Format on Cells Excel 2003 within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i have a problem with locking cell format. I understand how to lock a cells and lock a sheet.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

i have a problem with locking cell format. I understand how to lock a cells and lock a sheet. But i need this kind of combination.. I have lot of diferent cell formats on my sheets and i need people to add values inside, but i dont want them to be able to change a cell format.. (example date.. i have a lot of functions they works only if cell is in right date format.. and people they are using this sheet needs to paste a lot of values, and it is hard to explain them to use paste special.. valueas.. ) i need somehow lock those formats, but let users rewrite cell value.. i was trying almost everything but nothing really works.. thanks.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #2

Don't lock any cells. Just protect the sheet. In the screen that comes up when you click tools->protection->protect sheet, make sure you uncheck "format cells".

Computers - You can't live with them, you can't live without them!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks.. i will try it.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, thank you for your answear, but i think we are not on the same page. If i lock sheet, it is valid only for cells they are marked as "locked" (in properties of cells). So if i unmark all cells and than lock a sheet it does not do anything.. i can change that date format... not with properties, but with copying and pasting it from different cell. This is more important to protect via pasting than regular format change by clicking properties.. my sheet has a lot of rows and people will paste a lot there.. if they dont use paste special.. they always paste format of cell as well. I need somethink what will allow them to paste it in, but not change that date format of cell.

In the case i lock cells, nobody can edit it.. so not working for me as well

One more time i really appreciate your time.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

You are right, even though locking the way I suggested does not allow manual changes of the format, copying and pasting changes the format. I will try to do some more research into this, but I wonder if Excel can be told to do a paste of values without formats by default in certain sheets. That may be the solution if such a facility exists.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #6

See if this solution will work for you.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hi, thank you for your help.. I was really trying everything.. way i am thinking now is make some vba script which is checking paste function and always use only paste special.. but i am not very good with vba.. thanks one more time for your time.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

Did you look at the solution I posted above? All you have to do is record a macro of using paste special->values and then associate ctrl+v as the hotkey for this macro so that the normal paste hotkey will trigger a paste special. Obviously, your users may use edit->paste from the menu, choose paste from the toolbar or right-click and choose paste, but you can eliminate these options by customizing the toolbar, etc. to eliminate those options.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Nice article you found there rbalaji I was searching Google for a solution to basically the same problem sivan777 had. Got it fixed now was bugging me for a while thanks