Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

is there a way to recover text after accidentally saying "don't save it"?

This is a discussion on is there a way to recover text after accidentally saying "don't save it"? within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Jesus! I just said that no, I didn't want to save changes made to a document, when I did. Is

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Jesus! I just said that no, I didn't want to save changes made to a document, when I did. Is the work I did completely lost now?

OH NO. Help!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

I assume we're talking Word?

Go to Tools > Options > Save tab. Is the 'Always create backup copy?' box checked? If yes, you should find a file, wth the same name as the original, in the same folder but with a .wbk extension. This is a backup copy. You can open it and resave it. If not, you've just learnt a very important lesson, and one that I learned a good few years ago.

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, we're talking Word, and you're right - I just learned a valuable (and painful lesson). I'll have that backup copy creatin' box checked ALWAYS from now on.

Damn!

But thank you.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Vetustior Humo

Before you give up, check if you have the auto-recover box checked (tools>options>save). If it's checked, click the file locations tab and see where it's saving them. Then navigate there and see if there's a recent copy...just a thought.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

Yeah, never say die. Search all your hard drives for files named ~*.doc with "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders" boxes checked. If the search brings up too many files, select only the last few days. Begin opening them from the most recent to the oldest, until you locate something of interest. Don't forget to have the "Show hidden files and folder" box checked in the Folder Options of Windows Explorer.