Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Frustrating Excel 2007 issue

This is a discussion on Frustrating Excel 2007 issue within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've a user who uses Excel 2007 to maintain a calendar of information. At random intervals Excel seems to crash:

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've a user who uses Excel 2007 to maintain a calendar of information. At random intervals Excel seems to crash: the display blanks, clickable areas get re-drawn as the mouse moves over them, but nothing else seems to refresh the screen. Keyboard shortcuts work, so CTRL+S will save the document. She needs to close Excel and reopen it to regain normal functionality, and the issue may or may not repeat. No errors are logged in the Windows Application Event Log.

We did not have this issue with Excel 2003. The workbook format has been converted to Excel 2007's .xlsx format, but the same thing happens when using the older .xls file.

We did upgrade from Office 2003 Pro to Office 2007 Enterprise. I thought perhaps something got mucked up in the upgrade, so I reloaded the PC from scratch.

No help.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #2

My System

Can you please post a screen shot? If not please use pc wizard in my sig to post your computer specs. Install and open PC Wizard and then go to FILE, SAVE AS and copy the text out of the file it creates to this thread. Please also post what Power Supply Unit you have (open the computer if possible to see).

Based on the fact that this issue exists with a new install, i am convinved you have a hardware (possible memory) issue.

Not sure yet, but please post your specs. :)

Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'll get the details to you ASAP.

In the mean time, it's an AMD x2 CPU, 4GB of RAM that's been tested good via MemTest. The rest of the system works flawlessly. I won't be able to run the program you mentioned until later tonight, and will post back with results in the morning.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have the EXCEL 2007 screen refresh problem big-time, and it has gotten worse, to the point where I cannot use EXCEL anymore. It does not matter how big the workbook or spreadsheet is, how much data or how many formulas are in it, or how much formatting, conditional or otherwise. The screen flickers, jumps, hides rows, refuses to refresh, all seemingly at random. The more active I am in the spreadsheet, the more it happens. When I stop moving through the sheet, the weird refreshing and flickering eventually stops, until I get back into the sheet. Eventually, all or part of the screen material will reappear, and so far, no data have been permanently lost. With excellent support from Dell, we checked all hardware, reinstalled the latest graphics driver, upscaled and downscaled the graphic speeds, etc. Nothing worked. Next stop Microsoft?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

My System

Please post your own thread Terrenzo. Welcome to TSF.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

Actually, BigFella, that sounds very much like the problem I was dealing with. I think I've managed to fix it.

Terrenzo, by chance is this an upgraded Office installation? Mine was. I deleted the contents of "c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data\microsoft\excel" and rebooted the computer. The folder contents were re-created the next time I opened Excel and I haven't had the problem return since then.

Oddly enough, the apparent solution came at me as a "hail mary". Adobe InDesign CS2 was giving me out of memory errors when it opened. The solution there was deleting an Adobe-related folder in the Application Data folder. I thought I'd give it a go for the Excel issue and it seems to have worked.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

Dr Morganes - Thank you so much !!!!

This problem has been driving me crazy for almost 12 months and you've hit the nail right on the head.
Everyone's advice up until now had been to say it's a hardware issue but I've had this problem to an almost crippling level on all 4 of my high spec PC's at work since I installed the upgrade and knew it couldn't be anything other than a software issue.
What a relief you've solved this nightmare for me. I can't thank you enough.

Shame on Microsoft for allowing this to go on for so long.

P.S. other interested parties - the 'application data' folder is hidden as default so to bring this into view carry out the following.

Select:
Tools
Folder Options
click 'view' tab
select the radio button 'show hidden files and folders'
Hey presto!

Windows Vista Users: the folder is in a different location. Open from: Users\ user name\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel.

Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi all, I used the solution posted. It improved but not totally solved.

It's less than before, but still parts of the screen "lag"/doesn't refresh/missing and won't wake up. Also, I keep getting error messages to say "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other." I don't have any other file opened, just email and browser. And I have 4 GB RAM! I know Windows can only use 3+. Neverthelss, I can't see why's it's a resource issue!

Please see attached screen cap of excel lagged screen.

Somebody/Anybody, please help!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	excel problem.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	28420  
Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

Very similar to our problem. Currently being blamed on the user's file, but now burning expensive tech time to try to solve as it cripples one of our critical business operations.

I'm going to apply fixes suggested here. Does it occur in both .xls and .xlsx formats?

rg
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I am having this exact same issue. I have experienced it on two different PC's in my office and both of them were brand new Dell's. I have tried deleting the contents of the Excel folder as stated above in a previous post prior to joining this site. I was unable to find anybody else who had this same issue until I found this site.

I have tried a video card driver update, increase page file, Windows and MS Office update, decrease hardware acceleration for the video card... Nothing seems to work. Anybody have any other ideas?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

We opened a ticket with Microsoft pro support. There is a hotfix for the GDI layer, which we applied. Has been OK for a couple of days. Waiting until 9/11 to see if it is a fix.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

I thought I was going crazy and nobody else was experiencing this issue. It is happening very frequently. Can you let me know the kB for the hotfix? If it is possible, I would like to try it as well to see the results.

Hope it worked for you!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

Just an update from my side of things:

We still have the issue, just far, far less frequently.

rgaytsforum: Be sure to let us know if that GDI hotfix resolved the issue.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

Just a question, do you guys have SP3 installed on the XP machines that are experiencing this problem? I have noticed on the few that have had the issue in my office, they were XP SP2. i have Vista and never have any problems at all with Excel. it seems to be if the user has Excel open (no file open though) and they go somewhere else like browse the internet or open Windows Media Player, once the click on the Excel that is when the problem happens, the toolbars and menus at the top are gone, and you can see through the Excel to the application that is behind it... Odd...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

No problems yet after the hotfix. I'll post the hotfix we used tomorrow if it is still OK - that will be one week after application. I believe you will have to contact Microsoft to get it, as it is password protected.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #16
Registered Member

I also have been having a few issues with excel 2007 but i simply renamed the old user profile and then recreated a new one which fixed most of the faults.

but will try clearing the excel folder next time
Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
Registered Member

No problems after one week. The hotfix references KB955142 which is not findable on support.microsoft.com.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott82305 View Post
Just a question, do you guys have SP3 installed on the XP machines that are experiencing this problem? I have noticed on the few that have had the issue in my office, they were XP SP2. i have Vista and never have any problems at all with Excel. it seems to be if the user has Excel open (no file open though) and they go somewhere else like browse the internet or open Windows Media Player, once the click on the Excel that is when the problem happens, the toolbars and menus at the top are gone, and you can see through the Excel to the application that is behind it... Odd...
Happens with SP2 and SP3 for us.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
Registered Member

We are getting the same symptoms as described in the post but after attempting to apply the Hotfix from Microsoft it says it has already been applied... I erased the contents of the folder described above and will see if that helps. If someone has any other ideas I am all ears.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
Registered Member

This is a nasty problem. I have one more machine with the problem and I will watch it after I apply the hotfix. So far the 1st one is OK, but it has gone weeks between incidents before.