Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

FireFox won't paste in MS Works

This is a discussion on FireFox won't paste in MS Works within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Simple problem really, fairly sure others have had it as well. When you copy text or links from FireFox and

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to Dadashi_Hatake

Simple problem really, fairly sure others have had it as well. When you copy text or links from FireFox and try to paste it into Microsoft Works: Word Processor 8, it says "The information you copied exceeds the size limit for pasting into the Word Processor. Try reducing the size of your selection, and then copy and paste again." or whatever, and it doesn't paste. So, you have to go to plain old WordPad and paste it there, copy it from WordPad, THEN paste it to Word Processor.

Is there a fix to get it to paste into Word Processor normally?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Bumpilstiltskin....

Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Does this only happen when you paste from Firefox?

If you ever get an error message, just paste it into google. This is the first google result that came up for "The information you copied exceeds the size limit for pasting into the Word Processor" - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268762
Quote:
These problems may occur if the following conditions are true:

* An HTML document stores Rich Text Format (RTF) images in table cells to keep the spacing correct, and all Works Word Processor documents are automatically converted to RTF files. This conversion process can create many table cells. This may require lots of time to transfer into a Works Word Processor document. To protect your computer, the Works Word Processor automatically stops the data transfer after a specified time period.
* You are using Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 as the Web browser.

Workaround

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods.

Method 1: If you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or a different Web browser
Reduce the size of the data package that you are trying to transfer. If you still cannot transfer the data, follow these steps:

1. Drag the contents of the HTML document into Works Portfolio.
2. Select the item or the object that you want.
3. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
4. Open a Works Word Processor document.
5. Put the pointer at the position that you want.
6. On the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
7. In the Paste Special dialog box, click Picture, and then click OK.

Method 2: If you use Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2
To work around this problem when you copy and paste text, follow these steps:

1. In Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, select the text that you want to copy.
2. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
3. Open a Works Word Processor document.
4. Put the pointer at the position that you want.
5. On the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
6. In the Paste Special dialog box, click Unformatted text, and then click OK.

To work around this problem when you copy and paste a picture, follow these steps:

1. In Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, select the picture that you want to copy.
2. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
3. Open a Works Word Processor document. Put the pointer at the position that you want.
4. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, only FireFox. And just last night I googled that and found the same work around. It's sort of annoying to have to go to Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted Unicode Text. But yeah, it works that way, just troublesome to go through it every time lol.

Does this happen for everyone, or is it just something in my setup? I'm using FireFox 3.5.3 and MS Works Word Processor 8.5

I read that others have had the same problem, but I wasn't sure if it was EVERYONE. Seems like possibly Microsoft and Mozzila just don't get along in this instance lol.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I think MS Works 8.5 was released about 3 years ago. Do you know if there have been any recent updates, or could you use a more modern word processor that is fully compatible with current browsers and other software?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

I do all the windows updates that come out. I think a few months back there may have been some to patch some security problems in some Microsoft applications, I THINK Works was listed. I'm not too sure.

I downloaded Open Office but it was just too much of a change for me to enjoy, and it did not support the .wps format that almost all of my documents are written in. I am on dial up at a max of 31.2kbps, and my download speeds are a max of 3.5kbps or whatever it's called. So, I can't download many huge files, and NONE that take longer than 12 hours, as my ISP cuts me off at that point. Reason I mentioned all that was, I found some different version of Open Office that supposedly supported .wps, but it was like 300mb+, impossible for me to download unlike the first which was 112mb or so.

All I really want is one that reads .wps, has spellcheck, and wordcount lol. I CAN live with he pasting problem, as I have for quite some time, it's just annoying to go from WordPad to Word Processor, or do the Special Paste workaround.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

OK, I'm starting to get out of my depth now as I don't use word processors or any office software.

I'll move this thread over to the MS Office forum as I don't think there's anything you can do in Firefox to fix your problem. The people over there might also be able to recommend a word processor other than Open Office that is more suitable for your needs.

This is more of a workaround than a fix, but if you want to convert your files to the more common doc format rather than the outdated wps, see here for instructions. You can then open and edit all your newly converted doc files in Open Office or most other word processors.

To download the latest Open Office without being cut off by your ISP restrictions, you could use a download manager like FlashGet which allows you to pause the download and resume it at a later date without having to start again.

Open Office 3 supports wps files: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...d/File_formats
Quote:
* Microsoft Word 6.0/95/97/2000/XP) (.doc and .dot)
* Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)
* Microsoft Word 2007 XML (.docx, .docm, .dotx, .dotm)
* Microsoft WinWord 5 (.doc)
* WordPerfect Document (.wpd)* WPS 2000/Office 1.0 (.wps)
* .rtf, .txt, and .csv
* StarWriter formats (.sdw, .sgl, .vor)
* DocBook (.xml)
* Unified Office Format text (.uot, .uof)
* Ichitaro 8/9/10/11 (.jtd and .jtt)
* Hangul WP 97 (.hwp)
* T602 Document (.602, .txt)
* AportisDoc (Palm) (.pdb)
* Pocket Word (.psw)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks, they updated that since the last download... Evil people lol. Had to add that after I spent 11 hours downloading the previous version! xD lol. And I have Orbit Downloader, I think I used it for the first download. Hope it works this time, I'd hate to get about 90% done and have it fail.

I do have a question for the folks over on this side of the site, what would be a better way to go, Open Office (the version up there) or GO-oo, the off-branch of Open Office that has many add-ons and stuff not approved by sun micro or whatever? It says that it too, supports .wps, as well as many other things. It's also about 20mb larger to download, coming in at about 170mb, while Open Office is at 150mb (rough, not sure of exact numbers)

http://www.go-oo.org/discover/ <--- GO-oo

http://why.openoffice.org/ <--- Open Office 3.1.1.1 (I think that's the version number that includes .wps)