Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Excel Databar Issues

This is a discussion on Excel Databar Issues within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I would like to use the "data bar" feature of conditional formatting (Excel 2007, Windows 7 Ultimate) to show the

Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

I would like to use the "data bar" feature of conditional formatting (Excel 2007, Windows 7 Ultimate) to show the "progress" of a value in a single cell (say B3) that steadily increases as time passes - ultimately to 100%, as represented by a complete cell fill-in. (Note that this is NOT the usual databar application; i.e. for the purpose of graphically comparing the cell values within a contiguous range with each other).

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or feedback regarding my failure to structure the databar feature to do what I had hoped and expected it would do (i.e. completely fill in cell when criteria are met).

SETUP:
1. Cell B1 (formatted as a date) contains a fixed date of 1/20/2017
2. Cell B2 (formatted as a date) contains today's date (i.e. 'Today( )' )
3. Formula in cell B3 (formatted as number): '=B2-B1'
4. Select cell B3
5. Select 'Conditional Formatting'
6. Select Format Style: 'Data Bar' and choose any one of the six color options
7. Select a Rule Type: 'Format all cells based on their values' (in my case, only one cell)
8. Select Format Style: 'Data Bar'
9. Check 'Show Bar Only' (optional, to hide the cell's value)
10. Select Type 'Number' and Value '0' for Shortest Bar
11. Select Type 'Number' and Value '365' for Longest Bar
12. Click 'OK'

RESULTS:
A. For today's date (3/20/2017 or 2 of 12 months) the cell is filled in approximately 22% (a bit higher than the expected 17%, but acceptable). Note: I am defining fill percentage as the length of the fill color to the right edge of the fill's color gradient, relative to the total width of the cell.
B. However, if the date in cell B2 is manually changed to 1/20/2018 (12 of 12 months), the cell is only filled in approximately 90% (i.e. with about 10% of cell's white background showing), whereas I need (and expected) it to show a COMPLETE cell fill.

COUNTERMEASURES TRIED:
1. Changed Number value for Longest Bar to 200 (result: no change in B3 cell fill, relative to RESULTS: B)
2. Changed Number value for Longest Bar to 1 (no, this is not a typo - result: no change in B3 cell fill, relative to RESULTS: B - this is very surprising and maybe a clue to what I'm doing wrong)
3. Changed Type to 'Percent' with Value as '0' for Shortest Bar; changed Type to 'Percent' with Value as '100' for Longest Bar (result: B3 cell fill showed ~50% fill)
4. From 3 above, changed ONLY the Value for Longest Bar to '1' (result: B3 cell fill still showed ~50% fill, same result as 3)
5. Changed all settings back to those described in steps 10 and 11 in SETUP: (result: same as those described in RESULTS: A)
6. Changed formatting of cells B1 and B2 to 'Number' (result: no change in B3 cell fill, relative to RESULTS: A)
7. Changed formatting of cell B3 to 'General' (result: no change in B3 cell fill, relative to RESULTS: A)
RSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

i dont have 2007 available to check - so it maybe a 2007 issue
but i managed to get the fill to work

see attached - created in 2013 and worked as you described
Attached Files
File Type: zip databar.zip (7.6 KB, 3 views)

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Wayne,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my data bar issue. I opened your file and I see that you have accurately reconstructed my setup.

To test your solution (in 2007, I don't have access to 2013) I changed your value in cell B2 from 7/1/2017 to 1/1/2018, expecting/hoping to see a completely full cell. However, there is still about a 10% white space at the right end of the cell.

Maybe I failed to describe the condition I am trying to eliminate (i.e. the white space). It's not the gradient I'm concerned about (apparently Excel 2007 can only display a color gradient for the data bar, whereas later versions have the option of a solid fill), but rather the fact that my data bar (gradient notwithstanding) does not completely fill the cell when the value in the cell equals the longest bar number.

Again, thanks for your feedback, maybe someone who has had experience with 2007 will have a suggestion.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #4

7/1/17 to 1/1/18 is not 365 days
its
days
=98%
and so does show a gap
even on solid fill , a gradient to white would probably look bigger

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

Wayne,

Again, thanks for responding, but unfortunately that's not the answer. I set up a test cell where the lower and upper numbers are 0 and 100, respectively (thereby getting around your point about the date span not being exactly 365). I made the cell very long (wide enough to fill the screen, so I could get some good resolution. When the number in the cell is 0, there's exactly 10% fill (as physically measured with a scale on the screen and prorated - bar length vs. cell length), however any cell entry up to 10 doesn't reduce the bar length (i.e. it remains fixed at 10%). Then, as the number in the cell is incremented from 11 to 90, the cell fills proportionally (that is, the bar's length - i.e., the length from the solid color at the left end to the end of the gradient color at the right end - increases to a length corresponding to the cell entry). But any cell entry from 91 and above, still results in only a 90% cell fill (i.e. bar length never exceeds 90%).

From this test, it's becoming apparent that Excel (2007, at least) dictates a minimum bar length of 10% and a maximum of 90%; presumably for visualization purposes, so there may be no workaround for my application.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

looks like a 2007 issue as excel 2013 works perfectly
0 = empty cell

as you stated this article
explains
https://blogs.office.com/2009/08/07/...in-excel-2010/

2007 spec
Minimum default value
– Lowest Value in Range
– Occupies 10% of cell width