Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Excel 2007 change color of selected cells

This is a discussion on Excel 2007 change color of selected cells within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a worksheet open in Excel 2007 and I want to edit several cells at the same time. I

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Red Faced

I have a worksheet open in Excel 2007 and I want to edit several cells at the same time. I hold down my CTRL kb button and click on multiple cells. As I click on the cells, the background color of these cells temporarily changes color so that you can easily see which cells you have selected. I would like to change that color but cannot find where I do that. I think I have checked all the tabs and option screens, colors and themes but I'm sure that I have missed it. Can someone please help me do this? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Is it the same as excel 2003 you select the cells then right click then select format cells , goto the patterns tab and select the color you want?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF.

I know to what you are referring, but I don't believe you can change the highlighted background colour. AFAIK that is a built in Excel feature and cannot be changed, although I'm not familiar with 2007, so that could be something they changed for that version. If so then I missed hearing about it.

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Old 02-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Oldmn - thanks for the reply. I think you may be thinking about shading/fill which I can do. The change I need is only temporary and only shows when a cell is selected.

Glaswegian - thanks to you as well. I'm sorry to read that it may not be changable. I think you know exactly what change I'm referring to. Currently, the existing color is very light and darkening it would be helpful. I know that there are a lot of smarter people than I out there so I'm remaining hopeful that someone may know the answer or if we get a "2nd" to Glaswegian's response!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

First of all Glas is right - the shading which indicates cell selection is built-in and AFAIK cannot be tweaked. However may I ask: are these specific cells white or do they have a color background?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Zazula - thanks for replying.
No, these are your basic cells w/o shading or color. I'm pretty knowledgeable about a lot of MSO functions and tweaks (surely not as much as you guys) but I was completely stumped with this one.
I think you have confirmed what Glaswegian said earlier. Well, I had to try!
Thanks to everyone for helping the handicapped!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

The reason why I asked is because if the visibility of the selected cells is not practical for you or you simply don't like it, you might also want to consider trimming your screen's Contrast and Brightness settings a bit, to see if you can reach a more visible effect.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

For me, I think the color/visibility of the selected cells is too light. Adjusting the contrast might just work. I will try that.
Thanks again for your help
Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi All,

sorry to pick up on this thread again, but think it's the best description of this problem.

Just would like to add to Nexus' problem; I use the find option in excel a lot, and also use it frequently in a range of selected cells (ie, you have the value you're looking for in multiple places but just want to quickly find it in one column)

In that case I select the column (ctrl+space), hit (ctrl+F), enter my value and hit Enter. In those cases the selected cells are very lightblue (as Nexus described), but the found cell is just a little bit lighter. It's almost impossible to see it and see where you are on the screen.

Hope a solution will come, but honestly find this a big flaw in enduserfriendlyness (if that's a word).

edit - Try it, and you know exactly what I mean - end edit

Anyway, thanks for hearing my complaint.

rgds,
Coffey
Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Registered Member

Nexus37 -

I understand your delima and it has been driving me nuts! Since we can't physically make the change in the program, I found a way to trick it into the change; use VBA! Here's the code:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 24 '35
End With
End Sub

You can really choose any color you want (this is a great site for color reference: http://http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm)

Hope this works for you. Worked great for me!

Chad
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Cougar548 -

Thanks a lot, tried it and works great for me too. Also that link you sent is really worth it's money.

Decided, after years of laziness to put some more effort in my VBA skills. You made it look so simple.

Thanks again,
Coffey
Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar548 View Post
Nexus37 -

I understand your delima and it has been driving me nuts! Since we can't physically make the change in the program, I found a way to trick it into the change; use VBA! Here's the code:

With Target
End With
End Sub

You can really choose any color you want (this is a great site for color reference: http://http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm)

Chad

Can anyone explain how to implement the above code so that it runs every time I use Excel 2007? I have practically no experience in VBA.

TIA!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
Registered Member

Nevermind, I figured it out for the current worksheet.

However, how do I implement it as a default setting so that it works for any workbook?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

can someone explain in detail how to insert cougar's VB code? I know very, very little about VB so please provide detailed instructions of where this gets copied. I've tried it in the VBAProject->Microsoft Excel Objects->"Sheet1" and "ThisWorkbook" and haven't had any luck getting it to work. And as CherokeeBlue mentions, where can (if anywhere) this code be inserted so it works each and every time that I open and use Excel 2007? Thanks to everyone that contributed to this post.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

i used the VB code above and it worked great for the 1 specific worksheet, howver how do i use this for the entire workbook, also is there a way to keep the grid lines visable when using this code without having to create borders on the cells

thank you in advance for any help
Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

go to the office tab and scroll down to Excel Options, and when the panel opens, you can customize it.

You have a choice of a blue, black, or silver color scheme.

suzzan
Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

I too have struggled with both of these glitches for a year or so (selection behaviour and find behaviour), and am pleased to find co-sufferers and a possible solution.

But as a TOTAL stranger to VBA (I used to use original Basic ), I really would appreciate a hint or two on using Cougar548's fix so it's always there when I want it - which is always!

(What were Micro$oft thinking of?)

Cheers, Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar548 View Post
Nexus37 -

With Target
End With
End Sub

Chad
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm not a technical person by any stretch of the imagination, but I am persistant and I think I have a solution for emphasizing the color of selected/find items.

In Display Properties>Appearance>Advanced, under "Item", I selected "Window" and changed the color to a light grey (it was white). Now when I select cells, they show as a darker grey. I hope to get used to the silvery background, but at least I can see the multiple cell selections I've made.

Hope this helps others.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #19
Registered Member

EUREKA! Many thanks Wendark, for a practical fix that works and is easily applied by numpties like me - which is more than I can say for some of the stuff posted by the techies. I too am not sure about the silver-grey background on EVERYTHING, but one could always swap around depending on whether Excel is in use.

Incidentally, I find the selected/found cells do show upa bit better on my laptop than on my desktop - obviously depends on the screen characteristics.

Alan
Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #20
Registered Member

1st post - hope I'm in the right place!

Installing Cougar's VB (suggest you do this with a blank worksheet first to make sure I've got it right!)

1. In Excel, click Alt-F11 to open the VB window
2. Click Ctrl-R to open the Project Explorer tab.
3. In the Project Explorer tab, choose the sheet you want to install the code in. If more than one, you can repeat steps 3 & 4 as many times as required - there's probably a neater way to do it, but I'm just going through the steps that worked for me :-)
4. Click F7 to open the 'View Code' pane and paste the VB code in.
5. Go back to the workbook and select some cells and they should now be a million times more noticeable.
6. When you insert it into your live workbook, you'll need to save the changes before closing Excel.

OK, now onto my own little problem. I've installed Cougar's VB code and it works as it should - unfortunately, my s/s has a lot of conditional formatting which is all removed as soon as I select any cells - is it possible to modify the code to get around this?

Thanks
Dave