Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Error Message: Incorrect Product Key

This is a discussion on Error Message: Incorrect Product Key within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone Last resort. i tried to contact microsoft support because somewhere on the site it had said someone there

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi everyone

Last resort.

i tried to contact microsoft support because somewhere on the site it had said someone there could issue new product code, but apparently email, chat and phone support have been disabled for office 2007.

if i would still like support, i would have to pre-pay $40 and no guarantee issue will be resolved. or, hey, purchase office 2010 for $270 something.

sorry, but that sticks in my craw.

posted the question in microsoft office forum, no reply.

Issue:

Recently had to have system restore done on HP Pavilion dv6000. (did end up purchasing restore disks from HP during this process)

The laptop did not come with a disk (purchased in 2008 from circuit city, now defunct). programs including windows vista home premium came pre-installed, again, no disk. Shortly thereafter realized i needed to upgrade so as to be able to scan and fax. one could not do an online upgrade to windows vista ultimate (with service pack 1), i had to wait for a disk. which i did. loaded it, promptly crashed laptop. had to bring it back to pc consultant who had assisted me with which laptop to purchase with what programs, apps and add-ons (no longer in business).

After the restore, thinking nothing of it, go to open office 2007. asked for product key. again, thought nothing of it, it's on a label on the bottom of the laptop. repeatedly get error message "incorrect product key".

finally found the disk to the windows anytime upgrade pack/widows vista ultimate with service pack 1, entered *that* product key.

same result.

running vista 32 bit
kapersky anti-virus
ie 8
although default browser of choice chrome

any other info i should provide?

thanks very much i greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCurmudgeon
Hi everyone

Last resort.

i tried to contact microsoft support because somewhere on the site it had said someone there could issue new product code, but apparently email, chat and phone support have been disabled for office 2007.

if i would still like support, i would have to pre-pay $40 and no guarantee issue will be resolved. or, hey, purchase office 2010 for $270 something.

sorry, but that sticks in my craw.

posted the question in microsoft office forum, no reply.

Issue:

Recently had to have system restore done on HP Pavilion dv6000. (did end up purchasing restore disks from HP during this process)

The laptop did not come with a disk (purchased in 2008 from circuit city, now defunct). programs including windows vista home premium came pre-installed, again, no disk. Shortly thereafter realized i needed to upgrade so as to be able to scan and fax. one could not do an online upgrade to windows vista ultimate (with service pack 1), i had to wait for a disk. which i did. loaded it, promptly crashed laptop. had to bring it back to pc consultant who had assisted me with which laptop to purchase with what programs, apps and add-ons (no longer in business).

After the restore, thinking nothing of it, go to open office 2007. asked for product key. again, thought nothing of it, it's on a label on the bottom of the laptop. repeatedly get error message "incorrect product key".

finally found the disk to the windows anytime upgrade pack/widows vista ultimate with service pack 1, entered *that* product key.

same result.

running vista 32 bit
kapersky anti-virus
ie 8
although default browser of choice chrome

any other info i should provide?

thanks very much i greatly appreciate it.
You need to input the product key from the microsoft office 07 package. Not the product key from the microsoft windows vista package.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

ohhhh.

hmm. don't have it; was pre-installed with no disk in package as per original post, and apparently it went bye-bye during the restore.

since microsoft no longer providing customer support for office 2007 i guess them's the breaks as they say.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

You could always use something like OpenOffice.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

If it was a full version of office and not a trial version that came with the computer you should have the key on a coa stuck on the computer case. The sticker should be specifically for office 2007

If it was a trial version, which most computer comes with, and you purchased a key later, then you need to go to the website you purchased that key at, log into your account (accounts are required at most online locations) and the key should be there.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

@djaburg - have heard mention of it, will look into it

@ sobeit - a previous responder told me code i was using from bottom of my laptop not for office {shrug}. unit was not purchased online but at a now defunct brick and mortar establishment. was a full version, not a trial.

i do appreciate the responses. this is 300% more than i got from the official site, lol!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

there would be two stickers or labels on your case - one for your operating system and one for your office. As I said the sticker would specifically say Office 2007.

And as I already said, you will only have that sticker if you purchased the computer with the full version of office (not trial) installed. It makes no difference if the computer was purchased online or at a local store since it was a hp.