Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disable Insert Online Picture/Video in Microsoft Office

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like to edit the registry to disable the feature of Microsoft Office 2016 that allows internal internet access via the Insert Picture/Insert Video feature. I've navigated to: HKEY_Current_User/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/16.0 and I believe it is likely something in either General or Insert Media/Online Media, but I'm not sure where to go from here?

#2 ·
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Are you making this adjustment in a corporation? The Insert Online Video and Pictures function in Office 2016 is a new feature that is built into the application. There isn't an off switch that I know of.

Is there a reason you want/need this turned off?

You may be able to adjust the Trust Center Settings or Group Policy settings to block this, but after a brief look on my GPO, the Office group policies don't appear to have this.

The best you could do is perhaps block the connection Word/Excel tries to make to the internet to request this information.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. This is for a personal computer, not for a corporation.

Any ideas on how to block the connection Word/Excel tries to make to the internet? I had thought it was connecting using bing.com, but blocking bing.com through the "hosts" file did not block searching.

#5 ·
Thanks very much for your assistance. Do you have access to Wire Shark? Is this something you might be able to find out for me? I'm afraid it seems a little over my head, but I'm happy to try to learn whatever I need to.

The problem is that the Insert Online Images/Videos feature allows users to search for explicit images through Office. Office uses a filtering system, but it doesn't catch everything. We'd rather disable this feature entirely.

#6 ·
Are children using the machine and you wish to protect them from the explicit content? Could you just tell them not to use it? It honestly would be the best suggestion and easiest fix here.

You may be able to also log in Office using a child Microsoft Account with permissions on what they can view/search. However, I am not sure if that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.