Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

Cannot Open Any Documents in Word 2007

This is a discussion on Cannot Open Any Documents in Word 2007 within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running MS Office 2007 on Vista and have had no problems until a couple of weeks ago. The

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am running MS Office 2007 on Vista and have had no problems until a couple of weeks ago.

The problem occurs in Word 2007 only. When I try to open a document by double-clicking on it, Word will open, but the file will not. Only if I try opening the file by going through Word -->Open-->xyz.doc(x) will the file actually open in Word. This happens regardless of the kind of Word document I am trying to open.

I have verified that Word is the default program set up to open all .doc & .docx files. I have even reinstalled Office 2007 but am still having the same issue. All other Office 2007 programs & files work fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

jason

Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I have had similar problems. It happens intermittently and the workaround is obvious though a bit of a hassel, but i have not been able to pin down the problem. If i figure it out i'll post the solution.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

hello!
on the microsoft widows site there is a range of file coneverters and other useful additions to Office 2007. you just might find what you need over there.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

my problem is that when i go to my desk top to open a file it comes up with this box that says open through xyz,,,, or what ever so when i try to open through microsoft word it says unable to open xyz,,, no program is registered to open this file what can i do to correct this mess? please give answer at my email address mlee822657@aol.com as it is hard sometimes for me to get here.
thanks
mike
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomHound View Post
I am running MS Office 2007 on Vista and have had no problems until a couple of weeks ago.

The problem occurs in Word 2007 only. When I try to open a document by double-clicking on it, Word will open, but the file will not. Only if I try opening the file by going through Word -->Open-->xyz.doc(x) will the file actually open in Word. This happens regardless of the kind of Word document I am trying to open.

I have verified that Word is the default program set up to open all .doc & .docx files. I have even reinstalled Office 2007 but am still having the same issue. All other Office 2007 programs & files work fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

jason
I solved a similar problem, only it was my xyz.xlsx files that would not open by double-clicking on it. I opend config to my Norman virus control, and disabeled the realtime search in files on network stations. Then my problem was gone.