Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

yellow ? against port 1 and 2 plus error 633

2K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  wippit 
#1 ·
Hi, afraid i'm a novice so hope i give the correct info needed to answear my problem.
i'm running xp home on an AMD Duron 900 mhz with k7s5a motherboard.
whenever i try to connect to the internet i get error 633, i went into device manager and found yellow ? against comm port 1 and 2 with code 39 against both, and same with pci simple comm controller and multimedia audio which both have code 28.

I think it's best to mention that everything was working well untill i installed xp home but didn't save my settings and thats when my pc said it could'nt detect my modem so i downloaded a drive which it says is okay the modem is on port 3.
hope someone out there can help

many thanks in advance

wippit

G
#2 ·
Hi,

Let's try to get the modem bug fixed first. Try this:

Use the computer you are using now to download the latest and newest drivers from your manufacturer's website. OK, so you have a disk, download them anyhow from the website.

Physically remove all modems from the computer.

Enter Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, and then Delete ALL references to a modem.

Shut down and Reinstall your modem in PCI #3 or the third slot down from the AGP port. (by the way, next time you post, tell us what type and brand name of modem you have)

Boot UP and enter BIOS setup menu.

Find the PnP area and with XP be sure to DISABLE that item. (If you were using Win98, then I would have asked you to Enable it)

Save your settings and exit...then reboot.

When it finds your modem, then be sure you force feed the latest and best drivers (remember those I asked you to download) to the modem. Pay no attention if your computer tells you the XP drivers are fine, they are old v.90 and do not work a great deal of the time)

That should make it purr............well, anyway, I hope so.

#3 ·
ready to open up !!!!

mark3567 said:
Hi,

Let's try to get the modem bug fixed first. Try this:

Use the computer you are using now to download the latest and newest drivers from your manufacturer's website. OK, so you have a disk, download them anyhow from the website.

Physically remove all modems from the computer.

Enter Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, and then Delete ALL references to a modem.

Shut down and Reinstall your modem in PCI #3 or the third slot down from the AGP port. (by the way, next time you post, tell us what type and brand name of modem you have)

Boot UP and enter BIOS setup menu.

Find the PnP area and with XP be sure to DISABLE that item. (If you were using Win98, then I would have asked you to Enable it)

Save your settings and exit...then reboot.

When it finds your modem, then be sure you force feed the latest and best drivers (remember those I asked you to download) to the modem. Pay no attention if your computer tells you the XP drivers are fine, they are old v.90 and do not work a great deal of the time)

That should make it purr............well, anyway, I hope so.
will certainly give it ago, although i have never actually opened up the pc as yet, so this will be a first for me but am aware of the static precautions so will get back to you later in the day and let you know the results.
many thanks Mark
wippit
jim

#4 ·
Mark, sorry for delay i getting back to you, did exactly what you said and made 1 or 2 mistakes on the way, but like you said it's now purrring away.
the worst part was opening the case(first time) borrowed an anti static strap just to be on the safe side and now it's working like a dream.
cheers Mark, much appreciated.

jim.
wippit

#6 ·
no problem Mark, a reply was the least i could do, i'm now even thinking about upgrading, perhaps a new cpu but not sure which would be suitable for my mobo, i would ask my local pc shop but the guy would only end up trying to sell me the most expensive one.

cheers Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.