Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Websites think I'm still running IE7

This is a discussion on Websites think I'm still running IE7 within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm having a problem with IE 8 I can't seem to be able to solve. When I visit several websites,

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm having a problem with IE 8 I can't seem to be able to solve. When I visit several websites, they either do not work properly with IE 8 or I get a message at the homepage of the website saying I need to update to a more recent version of IE. I attempted several reinstalls of IE 8 directly from Microsoft and the problem has persisted. Firefox works with no problems whatsoever. I know there is a way to completely uninstall IE rather than do the updates, but I've heard it can cause very dangerous problems to your system. Any ideas? I'm running in Windows XP Professional operating system Service Pack 3. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Let's first make sure what version you have. IE>Help>About IE

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

It says IE 8.0.6001.18702IC.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

If you use add/delete to uninstall IE8 you'll revert back to IE7. There's no danger in that. Beyond that, it's risky. Give an example of a problem website. Is Adobe Flash up to date?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

As a recent example, I had to go to the AT&T website. Most of the embedded links would not work when I was using IE 8. They behaved like dead links. They all worked fine when I used Firefox. I've been to several sites recently that simply gave me a message at the homepage of the site saying I needed to update my browser to use the site. I just updated the Flash Player to 10.3. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OK, did the sites work with the updated Flash Player? If not use the add/delete to go back to IE7. This is not the final solution, just an intermediate step. Let's see what happens. Don't be confused by the statement saying about a more recent IE. AT&T still displays fully and all links work with IE6.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Download this update:

Download details: User Agent String Utility version 2

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks. I've been having increasing problems with my Yahoo mail (it freezes up when you try to hit replies to mail and its slow to load mail) , and I just tried to send a birthday card through Hallmark's site, and the Hallmark site said I had to update my brouser to 8 in order to use the site.

Things I've tried so far:

Went back to IE7 then reloaded IE 8. Also, updated my flash player.

I just downloaded the utility string. I will put IE 8 through its paces and see if this worked. It's really frustrating and of course Microsoft won't let those of us using XP have IE 9!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Please try this:

Reset Internet Explorer Settings - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Closed Thread