Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

use a proxy server for your lan

This is a discussion on use a proxy server for your lan within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running one pc with xp sp3 ie6 and another with vista sp1 ie7 and am having the same

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am running one pc with xp sp3 ie6 and another with vista sp1 ie7 and am having the same problem described below with both:

I want the "use a proxy server for your lan" unticked. I will untick it and then I am able to connect to the internet. My problem is something keeps ticking this checkbox and I can't determine what. It generally always happens at re-boot but will also happen just by refreshing or going to a different page. Not consistent but happens constantly and is about to drive me nuts.

Any solution/suggestion would be most appreciated.

Thanks...

Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

You may have some malware "re-activating" it. Try a tool to "clean out" your networking protocols and set to default called WinsockXPFix:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for responding CTSNKY!!!

I tried the tool you suggested, performed a reboot, when I brought up IE the box was ticked and received the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" which is what I have been getting. Cleared the tickmark and once again the page came up.

Wish that had been it but unfortunatly it wasn't. Thanks anyway!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

OK, then do all of your spyware scans.......use our HijackThis forum after following instructions for posting your log.

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

CTSNKY

The jury is still out. After running the fix you suggested and restarting I am not sure whatever didn't sneak in a tick the box again. I have since cleared the box and restarted six times and ie came up fine. I will continue to see if I can break it and if not I will follow your last suggestion.

If indeed the xp fix corrected the problem, I will post such and close the problem ticket. Thanks so much.....
Old 06-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Update:

I thought I had found the problem after running XoftSpySe which identified two instances of the trogan virus within my registry. I used the report to delete those registry keys and thought i had fixed the problem.

However, this morning i couldn't get on the internet and sure enough the box ""Use a proxy server for your Lan" was ticked. I then ran XoftSypSe again to ensure the same trogan was not back and the scan showed nothing.

Next step is to run every spyware i can get my hands on and see if perhaps one of those picks up something. I run Kaspersky Internet Security and it is usually pretty good about blocking all intrusions but who knows.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

and welcome to the Forum

You can click the Spyware Cleaning link in my signature and follow the steps to get help cleaning your pc . .
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

Bump.

I am very interested in the fix for this issue: would appreciate hearing the success story and detailed procedure.

Gracias!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

Pin

Hey man! I just spent the last day trying to deal with an issue like this. I wasnt able to use the internet for a while so Had to figure what was up on my own! Riddiculous...Anyways I was ticking and unticking things today after using 3 programs like 6 times....doing full scans EVERY time and seemed like somthing always just popped up in one and the other ones just found nothing...I found out that it was a probblem with somthing to do with a proxy so I just looked for somthing that said proxy (I knew it wasnt the internet because Xbox Live still worked and I could go on msn...untill I reboooted then I couldn even use msn anymore...But I ran the troubleshoot and it said proxy error) ANYWAYS I ticked the proxy server thing and found out that was the problem! I dont know if its important or was set up before but the internet works now and all is good. but here is what ima let you know the programs I used....

"Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"- Only picked up 1 infected...but who knows maybe the one...

"A-squared Anti-Malware"- I really like this program so far, there is a free 30 day trial...this one has picked up...well OVER a couple hundred since I have used it! Not always baddies just reggistry errors and just random fixes...If you update it it gets constant new information about new trojans,problems, or w/e.

The other one found nothing so pointless to say, just that syntac program or whatever it is. Anyways...ran those got rid of anything I could, unticked this proxy thing and It seems like everything is working so far...thats how I ran into this site cause I was lookin on information if this proxy server is important or not aywyas dude, use those programs if not just use a-squard Hope this helps! I'll check for any questions you still might have later if your still around that is.