Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary Internet Files...

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  deleted16062011 
#1 ·
Well, I'm a system admin here, and I have a bit of a confusing question. I hope I can make it clear. It appears, that when one tries to access their OWN temporary internet files folder (C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files), it comes up with a huge list of files. Anyone that's looked here before will recall that it normally sorts this into folders (Content.IE5, OLK22, etc) and then again into subfolders. However, you try pulling that up and you'll just get lots of files, no folders whatsoever in Temporary Internet Files. However, if you actually type in the extended path, the folders exist, they're just not displaying.

Further, if any OTHER user tries viewing that folder? Those category folders show up in the traditional manner. Even the administrator account has this issue. You access your own Temporary Internet Files folder, it shows files only, access it from another admin account, shows the folders as it used to display. I can post screenshots if this isn't clear enough. This happens at my home system and on every Windows XP and Windows 2000 machine here at work. Anyone know when this happened, because it's obviously a Microsoft originating issue. Is it just isolated to me, or is there a MS patch note I missed somewhere?

#3 ·
Yup! Can clear them just fine from another admin account other than your own, can delete the folders and everything. If you delete the files from your own account, you only empty the folders. But you can delete the folders from another account and they recreate, but the problem remains. Anyone see anything in the recent patches?

#4 ·
I believe this behaviour is by design. (There must be some Registry setting controlling this, but I'll need to look into it.)

Anyhow, when in your Temporary Interent Files folder, click on the address bar and type \Content.IE5\; this will immediately show you all the available subfolders within the Content.IE5 hidden folder. Select one of them - it will open. The unhidden ones will open instantly, while the hidden subfolders will launch a dialog box saying "This page has an unspecified potential security risk. Would you like to continue?" (Yes/No) The point is, though, that from that point on, you can also navigate to the other subfolders, too.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, I know that they're available and exist. I believe I pointed it out: "However, if you actually type in the extended path, the folders exist, they're just not displaying."

About a month ago, this started happening. My home PC, all the PC's here that are on network. If you run a fresh Windows install, you WILL see the old list, sorted into Folders( content.IE5\OASF1251, etc). If necessary I can post screenshots. This is really frustrating from an IT point of view, because if Outlook starts to fail, we usually just delete the Cache folder and it auto recreates. Now, the user can't delete their own folder, only the files. There's no way of selecting the folder and deleting it, and if you check the sharing/security permissions? That tab is no longer there. Only General and Summary. I've tried redelgating permissions to all child objects. No luck. I've been screwing with it for a while. This is NOT a good change, and is very frustrating from an Admin PoV.

*Sigh* Just like Microsoft to start slowly screwing up XP and saying that it's a "new" feature in Vista. I just cannot believe they would make a change like this without giving us a toggle option to disable it. Has *anyone* seen a toggle or patch note on how to disable this change, or even documenting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.