Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

[SOLVED] Internet Explorer 10 does NOT recognize Java 7u17

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Internet Explorer 10 does NOT recognize Java 7u17 within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Title says it all. I did a clean install (as administrator) of 32-bit Java 7 Update 7 by installing the

Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Title says it all.

I did a clean install (as administrator) of 32-bit Java 7 Update 7 by installing the .exe file called "JavaSetup7u17.exe" from the oracle website.

(you and I both know how there are crap loads of files that you can download from the Oracle website, most of them older versions of java, but then also some confusing ones such as "jxpiinstall.exe", the runtime environment (JRE), the development kit (SDK), java virtual machine (JVM), the J2SE, the Java SE 6, and whatnot....)

Anyways, here is the thing: I run Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium, I use Firefox 19.0.2 and IE 10.0.9200.16521 as my browsers.

On Firefox, if I go to the Java test page (How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?), it detects my Java version without problems.

But if I load the exact same page on IE10, I get the message:

"No working Java was detected on your system.
Install Java by clicking the button below."

...and clicking the red button below that, takes me to the same page which let me download and install JavaSetup7u17.exe in the first place (see first sentence of this post)

=========================

Moving on, there is more funny things going on:

On my 64-bit system, Java 6 used to install in the folder called "Program Files". Java 7 now installs in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

That being said, Java also used to put a copy of the java.exe, javaw.exe and one other java related .exe in the Windows/System32/ folder

SO, if I opened up cmd (the black box) as administrator and typed

java -version

...it would search this folder for java and then tell me the version.

Well, funny thing is, Java 7 has no java files installed in the System 32 folder.

So by typing java -version in the cmd, I get a fail.

Last but not least, I cannot open .jar files and .jnlp files even if I right click on them and select the Java.exe app to open them with - I get a black box for the fraction of a second and then it disappears when i double click the files.

I have made sure that the "scripting of java applets" in the internet security settings of IE10 is set to enabled, but to no avail.

I have also done this (clearing Java cache): How do I clear the Java cache?

...but to no avail.

Please help me out.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Go into your Control Panel>Programs & Features and delete all versions of Java you find. Do not open IE as Admin (you can be in Admin account and a password might be requested). Download here: Download Free Java Software
There is no X64 version.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Please change your OS in your Profile to Windows 7. Did you update to IE10 this week with Windows Update or had you used a trial version?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

- I did go into Control Panel>Programs & Features and deleted all previous versions of Java before installing mine. I even cleaned my registry to make sure there were no leftovers from old installations. Thats why my first sentence in my original post was "I did a clean install..."

- your download link is exactly where I dl'ed Java7U17

- I updated to IE10 this week by using Windows Update; never had any trial or beta.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Make sure you've allowed Java in the Security settings (IE10). In Advanced, Restore Defaults. When looking in the Registry, besides looking for Java, did you also search Sun Microsystems? I'm racking my brain because I solved this problem on my wife's Vista unit after an upgrade to IE9. Of course when I just asked her what I did, I got a blank stare.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I've also found a couple of sites don't work with IE10 - www.pingtest.net and Netalyzr because of seemingly no Java.

Both work fine in Firefox.

Prior to uninstalling/reinstalling IE10 to resolve what I thought was the cause of another issue, the ping test would work but the packet test would fail because of the lack of Java.

Since the reinstall via Updates and even with an overwrite of Java v7 u17 it doesn't even do the ping and jitter test - just has the error that Java is required.

Looks like another MS stuff up.

It seems from one article that I read that Java works for some in Win 8/IE10 when it's run from the desktop as Win 8 doesn't do plug-ins.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Well, I've had quite a lot of chew since I last posted on here but I've finally gotten Java to work in IE10 on Win 7

First of all I reverted to IE9 but when I tried pingtest.net I was getting the same java error - strange !

Went to java.com to download it again and noticed it defaulted to the 64bit browser version - even stranger !!

Was wondering if I'd previously installed the wrong version so clicked on the link for all versions and downloaded the 32 bit browser version as I'd previously been running IE9 32bit - same java error.

Clicked on Tools/About IE and found that it had reverted me to the 64bit version of IE9 - uninstalled java again and downloaded the 64bit version - still no joy.

So I uninstalled Java again and reverted to IE8 - this is the default browser on mine but apparently newer Win 7 systems come with IE9 as the default browser.

I checked this and it was also the 64bit version so downloaded that version of Java and it finally installed.

Ran pingtest again with it saying that it wanted to install the v7u17 add-on and to click here etc. did that and finally the ping test fully worked and included the packet loss test.

Uninstalled Java again then went past Go to manually download IE10 - installed Java - was able to do the ping test but the packet test failed with the error that it required an add-on enabled.

As I was able to do the basic ping test with the manual download but not with the Windows Update, could suggest a difference between the two somehow.

Went into the Add-ons, used the dropdown to see all of them and the only one still disabled was Java Plug-in 1.7.0_10 which I always thought was for Firefox.

Anyway, enabled that and now both pingtest and Netalzyr work fine, but I had been previously getting the Add-on for this site failed to run error on this forum and another that I frequent, which I now no longer get since ensuring that all Java add-ons are enabled.

Whether the latter is all it takes for to get it to function or the trip on the merry-go-round that I did or even forsaking the Windows Update for the manual install - don't know.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

I also managed to get it to work.

However, on IE9.

What I did was uninstall IE10, restart, download IE9 from microsoft (my win7 comes with IE8), install the IE9, restart, then download Java 64-bit.

I also played around with the settings and enabled scripting pretty much everywhere I could, as well as fool around with the Active-X settings.

Java & Flash Player work now on IE9, but shockwave player only works on the 32-bit version of IE9, but I guess this is the case for everybody.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

I thought that the object of the exercise was to get Java working in IE10 ??

IE10 is a 32bit browser so you'll need Java's 32bit browser version (x86), but the download page should default to that as it does for the 64bit version when you go there using a 64bit browser.

I've disabled Shockwave ActiveX add-on as I was getting the IE closing down to protect etc. because of a malicious add-on error and found that to be the culprit.

You could try reverting back to IE8 - checking if it is the 32 or 64bit version and that the appropriate Java works in it by using www.pingtest.net to see if the Packet test runs okay.

Then continue as I did by uninstalling Java then using the MS download link for IE10 - install Java v7u17 then in Manage add-ons use the dropdown to view All add-ons and enable all for Java, but I'd leave Shockwave ActiveX disabled as it can be troublesome.

I use Iobit's uninstaller to ensure all of Java is removed but you could use the free version of Revo or the JavRa-2.1 tool which is handy to have on board and the article explains how it's used..

You'll find that Silverlight only works in a 32bit browser also.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

Reinstalled IE10 now, everything works :) Consider the thread solved.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to carterg1

I have tried virtually all of the above suggestions to resolve this problem and it still persists. Therefore the problem is not resolved for me. Java 7-21 32 bit works with both Firefox and Chrome on my Windows 7 computer. Java ran in the past in IE9. It stopped some time ago and I cannot find out what changed to cause the problem. For some reason IE will not start the Java RE. Even when the Java RE has been started by another browser it still does not work in IE.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Right click IE icon and Run as Admin. Got to a site where JRE is needed. Close and reopen IE as normal user.. Should work now.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to carterg1

Thank you for your fast and accurate response!!! It is working now.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

The only way I could get the latest java (7 update 25, 32 bit) to run ALL THE TIME in Internet Explorer 10 desktop mode (in Windows 8 64 bit) was to create a new shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Then hitting advanced (in the shortcut) and choosing RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

If you do not want to do that (for security reasons), the work around that I found, was to install Chrome (as Java works all the time) and use that for sites that require Java.

I hope that helps
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #15
Registered Member

Evil

larryhayman & corday. Thank you.

After any update was made in Java, IE should be started as Administrator, then Java applets are loaded fine.

But when you restarted IE again as administrator or not, I am again prompted if I give permission to Java to make changes in my computer. If it is administrator account, it is OK to give permission, if not in order to continue using Java applets in IE, I have to select No. But if I select No, it continues to prompt when I start IE.

Sorry but it sucks. It is way more easier to use Firefox or Chrome instead. And this is why people are keep on complaining about Microsoft.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

This prompt seems to be a new thing with Java because of all the exploits it has been subjected to and you will even get this prompt when verifying Java after updating.

I think Java is auto disabled in Firefox now since Java started having its security problems so not sure if you would also get the prompt in that as well, but for IE right click on the Java coffee cup then select Open and under the Security tab you can either have it enabled or disabled in browsers.

When you aren't using it then it's best to have the box unchecked and then where some web pages require it, you will be prompted to allow the add-on.

To ensure the applets are enabled in IE go Tools - Internet options - under the Security tab click on Custom level then scroll down to Scripting of Java applets to see that the box is checked - this is normally a default setting.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

It is just IE problem.

At Firefox and Chrome I do not have any problem.

It is just a problem I faced after latest Java update, I really do not know if I previously had the same problem.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
Registered Member

After 8.1 upgrade the problem is resolved. But still I don't know if it was Windows or Java problem.

Regards,
Serdar,
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

It makes a change to see Win 8.1 is resolving problems instead of creating them
Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #20
Registered Member

I've just done a fresh install of Win 8.1 Update 1 and have this problem with IE11. Despite it showing the Java addons as Enabled, it doesn't recognise it as installed or work unless I run IE11 as Admin. Another program I have that needs Java also doesn't recognise it's installed at all unless I run it as Admin, even though I'm using an Administrator account.