Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] IE9 taking a long time to start

27K views 47 replies 5 participants last post by  rasmasyean 
#1 ·
It takes a while for it to start and I tried this solution but it didn't work.

Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 take longer than expected to start

I tried the "IE9 (without add-ons)" from the start menu and it comes up pratically instantly.

I even tried to uninstall stuff from the "Program Files" that I think might be related to IE and it still didn't do anything.

I also removed all search providers and accelertors except Bing because it doesn't let you.

Please offer any suggestions.

Thanks.

#29 ·
Re: IE9 taking a long time to start

Deleted it, but didn't work. :(

I installed Vista last week. I pretty much upgraded my computer to modern hardware (Core i7, DDR3, SATA6) but kept Vista. I was actually wondering if maybe Vista has a problem with some hardware that would be too new. Like perhaps the network hardware on the Motherboard and all and since IE is pretty much integrated with Windows.

So that's why I uninstalled the ASUS AI Suite thing because it's a mother board utility.

Is this possible?

P.S. Oh, also, I made a mistake, AsShellProcess.exe is still in the Task Manager. There was some other Asus process that was removed and I confused the two. But I guess that's not browser related anyway and is just some background task.

#47 ·

I installed Vista last week. I pretty much upgraded my computer to modern hardware (Core i7, DDR3, SATA6) but kept Vista. I was actually wondering if maybe Vista has a problem with some hardware that would be too new. Like perhaps the network hardware on the Motherboard and all and since IE is pretty much integrated with Windows.
Did you install OEM version Vista or full retail version?

Validate your Vista installation - http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

#31 ·

OK, I think there's more to it than "add-ons", if related at all.

When I run "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)"...the browser window opens up quick...BUT it takes a while before it can load an actual page.
Since "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" doesn't load the home page, I have to type it in the address right away and it will take a long time for it to come up. But if I wait a while, then type it, the page comes up instantly.

So for some reason, it takes a while before a freshly opened IE can load a page. The lag does not happen if I open a secondary IE instance.
If I close all IE instances, the first one opening lags again.
This doesn't happen in FF, where I can open and instantly display the home page from the beginning.

Any ideas what causes something like this?

#32 ·

No conflict with Vista and your new hardware. I know problem doesn't occur in FF, but try turning off your router and modem and resetting (I assume your firm wear is up to date). Reconnect modem first.

#36 ·

In your Restricted Sites zone, it's been found that too many sites listed have caused this problem. I can't vouch for how many are too many.

#37 ·

Well, judging that I've only used this new computer for over a week, I don't think I set too many restricted sites, unless they are automatically set somehow by a software. I already tried resetting the IE settings as well as downgrade to IE8. I presume that would rule out that possibility.

#42 ·

OK, so I decided to reinstall Vista. And quess what? It still is a problem!!!

After installing Windows, all I install is the motherboard's "Realtek LAN driver".

I downloaded other browsers and found out that Safari also lags on open exactly the same way IE does.

FireFox and Opera do not lag on open.

I mean, I don't know what else to do. As it effect's Safari as well, there's something similar about the way that and IE works. Maybe they both conflict with the modern hardware in some fashion that hasn't been patched yet? I dunno.

#43 ·

After reinstall, did you allow all Windows Updates prior to trying to install anything else? This should have given you IE9 properly. Your OS should read Vista SP2.

#44 ·

After reinstall, did you allow all Windows Updates prior to trying to install anything else? This should have given you IE9 properly. Your OS should read Vista SP2.
No, because without the Realtek LAN Driver, you can't download updates. :grin:

Anyways, by now I'm up to installing IE9 as we speak. This is not the first time I'm using this OS, btw. It's like 3.5 years old and I've never had any problem like this with my old computer. From Vista SP0, SP1, SP2, IE7, IE8, IE9. It only happened when I got this new equipment.

#45 ·

Click Start =>All programs => Accessories right click on Comand Prompt and click Run as Administrator

Copy and paste this into the Command prompt:

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Press Enter

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Press Enter.

When finished restart your computer.

#48 ·

OK, oddly now it works. I didn't do anything since my last post and just 15 minutes ago...

I did a Windows Update of:

Definition for Microsoft Security Essentials KB2310138 (3 of them)
Microsoft Corporation - Other hardware - Windows Mobile-based Device

...and when I re-opened up the IE, I was surprised that it came up fast. So I rebooted to make sure it wasn't a fluke...like as if an IE was running in the background or something already, and it still works! And Safari and Chrome opens up fast too!

I don't know if those updates had anything to do with it (they don't sound like they should), or that it inadvertently modified something in my specific system, but now it works! Totally weird!

This version is Vista Ultimate from a plastic box that looks like it's retail. I don't know, someone gave it to me a while ago. It's SP0. But it activated from the beginning of the install on my new computer (both times) and it downloaded all the way up to SP2 (both times).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.