Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

[SOLVED] IE8 can't download email attachments

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] IE8 can't download email attachments within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have an old desktop PC which cannot download email attachments using IE8 but can using Firefox. Details: Version

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I have an old desktop PC which cannot download email attachments using IE8 but can using Firefox.

Details:

Version of IE (Internet Explorer)- IE8
Operating System - XP SP3
All your security programs (including firewall, anti-virus, anti-spayware, any extra security tools installed/used.) - AVGv9
What you have tried - disabling all add-ins and running as administrator
What the problem is - everything works fine until I click to download an email attachment. I get the little grey box which usually tells you how long the download will take but nothing happens. No info in the box, it doesn't appear to get beyond 0% and only the files move between the location at the top of the box. There are no error messages though.When I switch to Firefox it works.

I'd be very grateful if anyone knows what might cause or fix this.

Gavin

Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Hello Tiridhe.

Try uninstalling IE8 along with all add-ons that you might have installed. Then, download the latest version of IE and install it. You may also install ant add-ons that you previously had, but I'd wait until after you see that it works again.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello Gavin,

Another thing is what is the email client?

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Issue resolved. Uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 and it works now.

Many thanks for your advice.