Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

[SOLVED] Error: IE cannot display the webpage

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Error: IE cannot display the webpage within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This message appears when i click on links. It even happened with a link in this Forum, as I was

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

This message appears when i click on links. It even happened with a link in this Forum, as I was looking for advice on reinstalling IE8! It started with a problem opening adobe reader 10.1.0. I removed the copy of Reader that I had and reinstalled it, though I had to use Firefox to get the download to work right. One note: I installed Windows Security Essentials about 2 weeks ago. I hope this is not due to a virus that got by Security Essentials! I am using XP Home edition, on a Dell Dimension desktop (7 years old).

I appreciate any suggestions.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Check if you are using any Proxy Settings, here's how to remove it.

Clear your browser's cache. Here's a guide.

Then this:

How do I reset the hosts file back to the default?

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go The Power View Post
Check if you are using any Proxy Settings, here's how to remove it.

Clear your browser's cache. Here's a guide.

Then this:

How do I reset the hosts file back to the default?
First, thanks for your detailed suggestions. Instead of pursuing them, However, I must apologize. The error message that I was getting, after clicking on a link, such as in your "common fixes" sticky, was actually "IE has to shut down."

After realizing that, I decided to uninstall IE8 and reinstall it. I first downloaded IE8. Then uninstalled IE. What happened next suprised me: An automatic update, including IE8, started up. I let it run, and what appeared when starting IE was "IE provided my Comcast," my ISP.

It works correctly, but it is slow, and I do not like the idea of Comcast being involved in my internet travels any more than necessary. Somehow this IE provided by Comcast arrangement first occured when I signed up with Comcast a couple years ago, and I found an alternative, but I do not remember how I did it now. Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Just to update the status of this problem, I removed IE8 again, after downloading IE8 to my desktop. Installing IE8 from the desktop still showed "IE provided by Comcast." And I still have trouble opening links.

I switched to Firefox and I do not have any problem with opening links. I ran a full scan with MS Security Essentials and it found no problems.

I attended to the first two steps in post #2 above, with no change. I am a bit leery of trying step 3.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Open up Notepad => Click on Format => Make sure Word wrap does Not have a tick next too. If it does just click it to turn of Word Wrap. Close notepad.
  • Click Here to download ToolbarCop. Save it to your desktop.
  • Go to your desktop and extract toolbarcop.zip.
  • Go to the extracted files
  • Double click on Toolbarcop.exe
  • Click on the notepad symbol:
  • A notepad file should pop up, please copy and paste Everything from the notepad file and paste it back into this thread.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Open up Notepad => Click on Format => Make sure Word wrap does Not have a tick next too. If it does just click it to turn of Word Wrap. Close notepad.
  • Click Here to download ToolbarCop. Save it to your desktop.
  • Go to your desktop and extract toolbarcop.zip.
  • Go to the extracted files
  • Double click on Toolbarcop.exe
  • Click on the notepad symbol:
  • A notepad file should pop up, please copy and paste Everything from the notepad file and paste it back into this thread.
Thanks for your reply and suggestion! First of all, when I saw toolbar as a possible problem, I remembered that I have had Facemoods running against my wishes, and that googling facemoods showed that others were having trouble with that sw. So I followed up on removing facemoods, in IE and Firefox. Clicking on links seems to be working now. However, I also followed your directions, after removing facemoods, and here is the toolbarcop log that you requested:

Browser Add-on Report generated by ToolbarCop v3.4
7/23/2011 9:21:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

Browser Extension: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL - Enabled - All Users

Browser Extension: n/a - {E2E2DD38-D088-4134-82B7-F2BA38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe - Enabled - All Users

Browser Extension: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11D2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe - Enabled - All Users

Toolbar: &Address - {01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383} - %SystemRoot%\system32\browseui.dll - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: &Links - {0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383} - %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: &Links - {F2CF5485-4E02-4F68-819C-B92DE9277049} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ieframe.dll - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {BA52B914-B692-46C4-B683-905236F6F655} - (empty) - Enabled - All Users

BHO: (Empty) - {04EB382A-4B48-4DE7-A570-B0307B9B13C7} - (empty) - Enabled - All Users

BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll - Enabled - All Users

BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\BrowserRecordPlugin\IE\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll - Enabled - All Users

BHO: DivX Plus Web Player HTML5 <video> - {326E768D-4182-46FD-9C16-1449A49795F4} - C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Plus Web Player\npdivx32.dll - Enabled - All Users

BHO: DivX HiQ - {593DDEC6-7468-4CDD-90E1-42DADAA222E9} - C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Plus Web Player\npdivx32.dll - Enabled - All Users

BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435B-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll - Enabled - All Users

BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: ctfmon.exe - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe - Enabled - Current User

Run - Startup: MSMSGS - - "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background - Enabled - Current User

Run - Startup: UpdateManager - - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: PCMService - - "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe" - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: ISUSScheduler - - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: ISUSPM Startup - - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: IntelMeM - - C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: igfxtray - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: igfxpers - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: igfxhkcmd - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: DVDLauncher - - "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe" - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: - - - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: dla - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: mmtask - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: DivXUpdate - - "C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Update\DivXUpdate.exe" /CHECKNOW - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: TkBellExe - - "C:\program files\real\realplayer\update\realsched.exe" -osboot - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: MSC - - "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: SunJavaUpdateSched - - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe" - Enabled - All Users

Run - Startup: Adobe ARM - - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe" - Enabled - All Users

List of running Processes
--------------------------------------------------------------
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\Program Files\Comcast\Desktop Doctor\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\providerComcast\bin\tgsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Update\DivXUpdate.exe
C:\program files\real\realplayer\update\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\U3\U3Launcher\LaunchU3.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\David Radile\Desktop\Toolbarcop.exe

Operating System details
----------------------------------------------------------
Operating System: Windows XP 5.1
Build: 2600
Service Pack level: Service Pack 3

Thanks again. Do you see any problems in the log?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello agin,

There are a few remnants left behind of old toolbars that we should remove:

Open up Toolbar cop again, find the following entries:

Toolbar: (Empty) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} - (empty) - Enabled - Current User

Toolbar: (Empty) - {BA52B914-B692-46C4-B683-905236F6F655} - (empty) - Enabled - All Users

BHO: (Empty) - {04EB382A-4B48-4DE7-A570-B0307B9B13C7} - (empty) - Enabled - All Users

Right click on each of the above and click Delete, then click Yes when prompted

Also there are some left overs of Norton and McAfee, if you are not using either of these products anymore please run these:

Please download McAfee Removal Tool and save it do your desktop. Double click to install it. Follow the prompts. When finished installing, run the program and follow the prompts. You will need to restart your computer at the end of the installation.

Uninstall Norton Using The Removal Tool

**NOTE: This uninstalls ALL Symantec Products**
  • Please download the Norton Removal Tool from here, right click on the blue link and choose Save Target as..., and save it to your desktop.
    Once downloaded please close ALL open browsers, also save any work because this may require a restart.
  • Go to your desktop and double click on the removal tool.
  • Click Next
  • Read the Terms and Conditions then click Next
  • Type in the letters/ Numbers that you see into the text box. Click Next.
  • Then click Next and the tool will start running.
Once completed you may have to restart your computer.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks a lot! I'll go through your list and report back.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No worries

Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
No worries
Thank you very much for your excellent guidance! All steps above completed.

The only thing left that I would like to do is get IE8 not "provided by Comcast," which is my ISP. I suspect that Comcast gathers data without my knowledge/approval. I tired installing IE8 from a downloaded version directly from the MS download site, but when I opened IE, it still was "provided by Comcast." Any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No problems glad to have helped.

Do you mean up i the title bar it says it?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
Registered Member

On the error messages, we can mark this one Problem solved, for sure, thanks to you!

Yes, the title bar says Internet Explorer provided by Comcast. I may be all wet here-but I feel that IE is slower since that version is running. But more than that, I don't think it is right that I cannot download IE without Comcast being involved. Certainly, the Firefox that I can run is still independent of Comcast. And as I mentioned earlier, a couple of years ago I somehow found a way to acquire and run IE w/o the Comcast "label." Again I will appreciate any help.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Registry Fix

Click Start => Run => type in Notepad, press Ok.

Please copy everything from the quote below into Notepad

Quote:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Window Title"=-
Save this as fix.reg, Choose to 'Save type as' as All Files. Save it to your desktop.
It should look like this:
Double click on fix.reg & allow it to merge into the registry.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

That worked just fine. As they say up in New York, You da Man!

Thank you very much-I have a new respect for Australia.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No problems I am glad to have helped.

Closed Thread