Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

[SOLVED] CPU maxing out at 100%

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] CPU maxing out at 100% within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My CPU is a 2.6GHZ Celeron with 1.25GB of Ram running Win. XP pro with a 40GB Hard Drive. When

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

My CPU is a 2.6GHZ Celeron with 1.25GB of Ram running Win. XP pro with a 40GB Hard Drive. When I log into www.KSL.Com which is a news site here in Salt Lake City, Utah I click on their video link to their stories and Immediately my CPU jumps up to 100% and does not drop for quite some time. When I open up my task manager it shows Taskmgr.exe up to 95% and IE up to 5% which maxes to 100% freezing my computer. Also when I run Real Player it IMMEDIATELY goes to 100% and does not drop for quite some time. I have tried updating my Java, Updating all my windows updates but so far have yet to figure out what the heck is going on. Any ideas?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Brentrb28,
Seeing you are having problems with multiple players and the PC is locking up. I would run a full scan for Spyware and Viruses. I would also check the operation of you memory to see if that is working correctly. Run MEMTST86. Post back with your results
Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

It appears that it was non of the above solutions. I called my Videocard manufacture and they stated it was either a bad video card or a missing driver and asked me to update the Motherboard Drivers. I found a 4 in 1 driver and ran the update and immediately the problem went away. Who would have thunk!!!!!!!! Thanks for the advice though.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Glad you got it fixed
Thanks,
Bill