Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

[SOLVED] can't delete temporary Internet files

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] can't delete temporary Internet files within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. please can some one help, when i delete temporary Internet files I'm left with 21 different icons all with the

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

please can some one help, when i delete temporary Internet files I'm left with 21 different icons all with the same name " favicon.ico" no matter what i do i can't get rid of them, it's driving me mad

Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

favicon.ico files are used by IE both within the browser itself and within your favorites. In addition to that they can effectively be 'locked' by widgets such as active desktop components or news-ticker style programs.

You could boot Windows into safe-mode (without network support) and then try deleting them from there. But if you are running any kind of widgets or access sites from your favourites which contain favicon.ico files they will simply re-appear upon booting Windows normally again.

Why do you need them gone?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey try to delete using Unlocker. Its a simple tool, which tell you about a file which cannot be deleted, and which process is using it. you can simply delete that file by using unlocker.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsretro View Post
favicon.ico files are used by IE both within the browser itself and within your favorites. In addition to that they can effectively be 'locked' by widgets such as active desktop components or news-ticker style programs.

You could boot Windows into safe-mode (without network support) and then try deleting them from there. But if you are running any kind of widgets or access sites from your favourites which contain favicon.ico files they will simply re-appear upon booting Windows normally again.

Why do you need them gone?
thanks for replying so quick, the reason i wanted the favicon files deleted , I'm playing online pool on yahoo games and it's stop working properly so they suggested deleting t.i.f which I've done (apart from favicon files) but it's made no difference.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgow View Post
Hey try to delete using Unlocker. Its a simple tool, which tell you about a file which cannot be deleted, and which process is using it. you can simply delete that file by using unlocker.
thanks i'll try that
Old 11-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

I would be very suprised if the favicon.ico files are causing this. At the end of the day they are just icon files (can be created with a standard icon editor). You might want to try and delete cookies (if you haven't done so already) rather than temp files. Aside from that, try using a different Yahoo ID on your PC (perhaps a friends or a temporary one you setup) and try with that. Does it work then? If so, it is likely to be a corruption of your Yahoo ID of some kind.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsretro View Post
I would be very suprised if the favicon.ico files are causing this. At the end of the day they are just icon files (can be created with a standard icon editor). You might want to try and delete cookies (if you haven't done so already) rather than temp files. Aside from that, try using a different Yahoo ID on your PC (perhaps a friends or a temporary one you setup) and try with that. Does it work then? If so, it is likely to be a corruption of your Yahoo ID of some kind.
I've tried signing in under a different yahoo ID but makes no difference,
any more suggestion's would be great , many thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ok, so I think we have discounted temporary files and cookies. Looks like we are onto other things. I don't tend to play Yahoo games, but I do play similar games on other sites and I am assuming they are flash based or similar. Is the problem specific to the pool game you like playing or are other games affected in the same way?

If you provide the url to the game you are trying to run, I will take a look and see whether that provides any further clues as to what the tech behind it is and whether there might be any other reasons for this....
Old 11-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
Registered Member

thanks for looking in to this problem, the url is http://uk.games.yahoo.net/Lobby.aspx...cat_fg_r&refId=
Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Do you have these problems in any other browsers? Please try one of the below (both are free):

Firefox
Opera

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 11-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
Registered Member

I've tried FireFox but it makes no difference
Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Go there and click on verify

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Registered Member

I downloaded and updated java and that sorted the problem out. Thanks for all your help, great forum
Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #14
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No worries glad to have helped.

I will mark this thread as solved and close it. If the problem returns please send me a PM and I will re-open it for.

This apply's only to the original thread starter.

Closed Thread